5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lvl 2 equipment group and advanced safety group

Saints

Reaction score
I need some opinions on if these two options are really worth it. When first building the truck these are two options I thought I wanted. I can not find a truck with all of the options that I wanted unless I ordered one, but I did find one with all of the options besides these tw. Thinking about it I think some of the options in the advanced safety group would get on my nerves except I think adaptive cruise control would be pretty cool.

As for the lvl 2 equipment group I think I could live with the Alpine system and upgrade the speakers myself as others have done here. Am I missing anything that is a must have with these options?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need some opinions on if these two options are really worth it. When first building the truck these are two options I thought I wanted. I can not find a truck with all of the options that I wanted unless I ordered one, but I did find one with all of the options besides these tw. Thinking about it I think some of the options in the advanced safety group would get on my nerves except I think adaptive cruise control would be pretty cool.

As for the lvl 2 equipment group I think I could live with the Alpine system and upgrade the speakers myself as others have done here. Am I missing anything that is a must have with these options?
You nailed it with the advanced safety. Most can be annoying, but after having the adaptive cruise it is well worth it IMO. After having it now I would pay the full advanced safety price just specifically for the adaptive cruise but that is just me!

RonH

Reaction score
I've had the adaptive cruise on my Mopars since 2012, and I won't buy a vehicle without it. All the safety features in the ASG can be customized to reduce or eliminate annoyances. On some the sensitivity can be adjusted, and on the auto braking feature, you can turn off the auto braking but still have the audible warning. Of course, any feature can be turned off or on as desired.

Another feature of the ASG is the 360 surround camera. This truck is the first time I've had that feature, and I really like it. Warning -- if you get the Trailer Tow Package, those trailer mirrors will eliminate the 360 camera. So if you're going to do some towing and can live without the tow mirrors, find a truck with Trailer Brake Control and no Tow Package.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the adaptive cruise on my Mopars since 2012, and I won't buy a vehicle without it. All the safety features in the ASG can be customized to reduce or eliminate annoyances. On some the sensitivity can be adjusted, and on the auto braking feature, you can turn off the auto braking but still have the audible warning. Of course, any feature can be turned off or on as desired.

Another feature of the ASG is the 360 surround camera. This truck is the first time I've had that feature, and I really like it. Warning -- if you get the Trailer Tow Package, those trailer mirrors will eliminate the 360 camera. So if you're going to do some towing and can live without the tow mirrors, find a truck with Trailer Brake Control and no Tow Package.
Yes! How could I forget the surround view! Absolutely love that feature as well. Very good advice by @RonH in this post.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Absolutely would not buy a vehicle without it now that I’ve had it. If you drive in any traffic on a regular basis or take long trips it makes it so much better. I am less stressed while in Stop and Go traffic and while I’m always aware while driving it is nice to know that you have a built in co-pilot. Highly Recommend.

All that being said mine is currently not working. So there’s that. Buy the extended warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruz-in

Reaction score
Big Thumbs Up for ASG!

Surround view camer and ACC are worth the price. As far as me, I like the Lane Assist and other features. Some folks find it annoying.

ponypride

Reaction score
I ordered my truck and I really wanted the Advanced Safety Group. I had to forgo it because I did not want the level 2 group, particularily at the higher cost. I had a budget that I had to stick too. Not sure why FCA links those option sets.

grinch72

Reaction score

Advanced safety group will save you money on insurance. More than one would think. It could pay for itself over the life of the truck!

Chris

Reaction score
I ordered my truck and I really wanted the Advanced Safety Group. I had to forgo it because I did not want the level 2 group, particularly at the higher cost. I had a budget that I had to stick too. Not sure why FCA links those option sets.
ASG is dependent on a large chunk of the stuff in the Lvl 2 equipment group; it needs a heftier computer and a ton of sensors to work. You would still end up paying for 75% of the Lvl 2 group just to get the dependent features, though an argument could be made for the remaining 25% of the cost by cutting those features out like HK speakers and some comfort and convenience tech.

Creep0321

Reaction score
ASG is dependent on a large chunk of the stuff in the Lvl 2 equipment group; it needs a heftier computer and a ton of sensors to work. You would still end up paying for 75% of the Lvl 2 group just to get the dependent features, though an argument could be made for the remaining 25% of the cost by cutting those features out like HK speakers and some comfort and convenience tech.
What in the level two is actually "required" for the ASG?

Lize

Reaction score
Best options in Level 2 for me were keyless entry and rain sensitive wipers.

I ordered a Rebel and couldn't have the advanced safety group but would really only have personally seen benefit of the adaptive cruise.

I also ordered the blind spot detection as I'm in the UK and its very easy being LHD for low/sports cars to suddenly be along side and completely out of sight. I had it on my F150 and it saved me from wiping one out when about to pull out into the fast lane. You won't have that problem though.

It all depends on what's important to you, it's difficult to narrow down the choices whilst considering the costs.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I think there needs to be clarification on which trim level we are talking about.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
Best options in Level 2 for me were keyless entry and rain sensitive wipers.

I ordered a Rebel and couldn't have the advanced safety group but would really only have personally seen benefit of the adaptive cruise.

I also ordered the blind spot detection as I'm in the UK and its very easy being LHD for low/sports cars to suddenly be along side and completely out of sight. I had it on my F150 and it saved me from wiping one out when about to pull out into the fast lane. You won't have that problem though.

It all depends on what's important to you, it's difficult to narrow down the choices whilst considering the costs.

I don't know what trim level the Rebel's L1 and L2 compare to, but on my Laramie, it has what's important from what's in the active safety group in the L1 package.

Laramie L1 has blind spot detection and Parksense.

The L2 package + ASG add Adaptive Cruise, Advanced Brake Assist, Parking Assist, Forward Collision Warning and Lane Departure Warning.

The difference between L1 and L2 + ASG on a Laramie is = $4,595. That's pretty steep.

One would have to think the sensors are there in the L1 package...you can order a 12" nav with L1, you should be able to order ASG on the L1 package.

Understood it may cost more with L1 than with L2 (eg - adding the 12" nav with L1 on Laramie = $1,995 vs $1,295 if you have L2) but it seems like at $2,000 - $2,750 more people would bite on ASG.

slimchance

Reaction score
wife's ram is level 2, my ram is level 1, both are laramies ... here is a spread sheet based on the build sheets for each trk ..... i do NOT miss the level 2 stuff

Attachments

• compare ram trks no vin.pdf
    96.8 KB · Views: 34

Chris

Reaction score
Here is the Level 2 Laramie equipment listing, with the items most likely needed for the ASG (due to sensors and computer processing) underlined:

19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control (Front-facing sensor)
Blind-Spot with Cross-Path Detection (lower sensors)
Foam Bottle Insert (Door Trim Panel)
Heated Second-Row Seats
ParkSense® Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop (lower sensors)
Rain-Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Rear Under-Seat Compartment Storage
Remote Tailgate-Release
Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split-Recline Seat
Single-Disc Remote CD Player
Tailgate-Ajar Warning Lamp
Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4-Inch Display (higher power cpu for handling sensors)
RamCharger Wireless Charging Pad

It doesn't sound like much, but note they are all high-tech items wired throughout the vehicle (and requiring strong grounding/shielding from interference)and likely where the majority of the cost lies in the Level 2 package. Most of the remaining is mechanical or low-tech, which is why I roughly guestimated at 25% of the cost.

Lize

Reaction score
I hadn't realised how different the packages are between the models. The Laramies packages are very different than the Rebel ones $2900 difference does seems quite pricey to add: 19 speakers, NAV, heated rear seats, rear underseat storage and wireless charger. Then having to add L2 if you're not that keen on those features in order to have ASG does make it pretty steep indeed.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have on my 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk the Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Brake Assist, Full Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus, Lane Sense Land Departure Warning Plus, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go, Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control and I love most of them. However on my 2019 Ram I didn't have enough bucks in the billfold to get the Advanced Safety Group. Do I miss it? Not much yet as I have been driving my new Ram since December 12th for the most part. (Retired and we don't do a lot of driving--but have 1100 miles on the new Ram) I probably have driven the Cherokee a couple hundred of miles since purchasing the Ram. You can see in my signature what I do have. I would suggest everybody get the Blind-Spot with Cross Path and Trailer Detection which is especially to me important on my larger Ram. Also on the Big Horn I would suggest getting the Led Lighting Group too as I have great lights at night. It took a little getting used to not have the Safety/Tech group. And I would say if you can work it into your budget to get the Safety Group. I somewhat regret not getting the Advanced Safety Group but didn't want to go in debt at my age.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I fully agree with most, I ordered the ASG with level 2. I am very happy with safety equipment. Although the reverse stop assist was touchy at first a recall seems to have fixed that. As for the Alpine system I am very happy. I have had this system in my last two Rams and have upgraded speakers however I find I am not needing to as yet, maybe the acoustics in this truck are different.

Saints

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate them all and understand this is a decision that I need to make on my own. The only thing in the Laramie that is on the lot ready to go with the level 1 group would be missing is:

Bird eye view with front camera (which I really want)
Adaptive cruise control (which I really want)
Rear heated seats (do not need, I’m in the south and have worn shorts all week)
Rear cargo storage (can make my own)
Wireless charging pad (would be nice, but I hardly ever charge my phone in the truck and would need to plug it in for CarPlay anyway)
19 speaker Harmon Kardon (would be nice, but people seem to like the Alpine a lot and I would go aftermarket anyway)
All of the other adaptive safety group stuff ( which honestly would probably annoy me)
So for the 2 things that I really want and all of the other stuff that I can live without this would cost me about $5,000 more. Plus I could take delivery now instead of waiting 2 months for the truck to be ordered. It does have the 12” with nav which was a must for me. Decisions, decisions...

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate them all and understand this is a decision that I need to make on my own. The only thing in the Laramie that is on the lot ready to go with the level 1 group would be missing is:

Bird eye view with front camera (which I really want)
Adaptive cruise control (which I really want)
Rear heated seats (do not need, I’m in the south and have worn shorts all week)
Rear cargo storage (can make my own)
Wireless charging pad (would be nice, but I hardly ever charge my phone in the truck and would need to plug it in for CarPlay anyway)
19 speaker Harmon Kardon (would be nice, but people seem to like the Alpine a lot and I would go aftermarket anyway)
All of the other adaptive safety group stuff ( which honestly would probably annoy me)
So for the 2 things that I really want and all of the other stuff that I can live without this would cost me about $5,000 more. Plus I could take delivery now instead of waiting 2 months for the truck to be ordered. It does have the 12” with nav which was a must for me. Decisions, decisions...

As you stated, your money, your decision. Me personally I have purchased trucks in the past where I felt I conceded or justified it to myself because this one was there or the deal might go away and what I think I’ve learned is there is always another truck and another deal. So while I am impatient by nature I like to think I’ve learned that when it comes to certain things the regret I feel every time I get in my truck because I conceded on something that can’t be added (or easily added) is not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread