5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lug-nuts

Oldphart

Reaction score
I was on another forum and the issue if 2 piece lug-nuts came up. Polished aluminum caps over mild steel. After a period of time, corrosion sets in due to dissimilar metals and the aluminum swells to the point where a standard lug-wrench won't work.

I'm trying to find out if the RAM's are equipped with these. I've got a 21 Longhorn with the night package.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I think most of Stellantis' products use the same style. My previous LX cars and Jeeps had the same ones so doubt RAM is any different. Some people never have an issue, some people after a couple of years. I have a bucket full of stock lugnuts, one of the first things I change.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Yes, I think most of Stellantis' products use the same style. My previous LX cars and Jeeps had the same ones so doubt RAM is any different. Some people never have an issue, some people after a couple of years. I have a bucket full of stock lugnuts, one of the first things I change.

What style did you get? I was looking at the McGard ones in black chrome but I'm nut sure if they are the conical ones or other style.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What style did you get? I was looking at the McGard ones in black chrome but I'm nut sure if they are the conical ones or other style.
I hope the McGard work, I just ordered these for whenever my truck gets here:

McGard 84640 Black Cone Seat​

There is a thread somewhere around here about the different blck lugnut options. I was looking at Gorilla too, but they weren't in stock. 96644BDX I think was the part number.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
What brand of Lug Nuts did you replace the stock nuts with?

Oldphart

Reaction score
Got the black lugnuts installed. I think they look better than the standard chrome ones. If I were to do it again, I would paint the brake hub where the studs go thru a satin black, There is a very small "halo" of silver as the McGards are a bit narrower after the cone mates with the wheel surface. No issues with saftey though; complete contact. McGard part #84640. Expensive but made in USA....Buy once, cry once. Pic Attached

Attachments

• McGard.jpg
    McGard.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread