5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LTD vs. Power Wagon

A4Owner

Reaction score
Hi I'm a truck poser, which is to say I'm a guy that really WANTs a truck, but I don't actually need one for work. I work in a dam office, which sucks, but pays well and so here I am. I thought the truck I wanted was the Ram 1500 Limited. I watched dozens of video reviews on it and I thought it was "the one" because its basically like a luxury car, which is cool, but with a 1500s size and ability to tow is I need it. WELL, about two weeks ago I discovered the Ram Power Wagon. I didn't even know this thing existed because 2500s just weren't ever a consideration for me (i.e. if I am already a poser with a 1500 then a 2500 would be being a "super" poser). But I have to say, I think I'm in love: that Power Wagon is just amazing. Anyone here ever own both? Oh and really stupid question but does the Power Wagon drink "that much" fuel??? 6.4 in a 7,000 pounder probably suck it back by the gallon eh? I guess why I saw fuel I mean in comparison to a 1500. Also, and this is a functional thing, do off road tires make that much noise compared to the 22s in the Ltd? I have to say, I do love quiet riding vehicles which I think the LTD would be, not the Power Wagon.

bvigne01

Reaction score
I’d love a power wagon too. I wish ram would build a 1500 version and make it an off-road package rather than a model. I have a 1500 longhorn With the off-road package. I upgraded the tires and rear sway bar. I don’t do any crazy off-roading but do drive it into fields to hunt. Have never had an issue yet with the 5th gen and never did with the 4th gen. I’d stick with the 1500 If it’s a daily driver. Easier to get around with the shorter bed. the one thing I with the 1500 off-road package had was LSD with ELocker like the power wagon has

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably better off sticking to the smoother ride of the Limited. Power wagon is cool and all (trust me I wanted one) but your going to give up a lot of the creature comforts you’ll get with the limited especially if your not buying it to take it off roading. MPG is going to suck lol but the 5.7 isn’t exactly a economy engine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A4Owner

Reaction score
The Power Wagon just seems like such a mountain of a truck though...

cliffsta

Reaction score
Power Wagon is super cool but very impractical if you don’t live in the outdoors. Better off with a Rebel if you wanna be a pretender, but if you don’t plan on anything offroad, go with the Limited. Just my .02

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Power Wagon just seems like such a mountain of a truck though...

Oh it is… but sometimes you gotta be practical lol. Enjoy the better creature comforts in the limited or go with the baby wagon Rebel lol.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Have you driven a power wagon yet? I wanted one quite badly until I actually drove it. The cab is a bit smaller than that on the Rebel, so anytime I took my left hand off the wheel and put it on my leg, my elbow hit the door frame. It seems like the cab isn't as wide, so the door is a few inches closer to you. Very annoying. If not for that, I'd be driving one right now.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I debated last week about trading up to a 2500 but more I thought about it and especially looking at prices for essentially a Gen 4.5 I said nope. Had it been a actual Gen 5 and had the improvements like what the 4th to 5th Gen 1500 got probably wouldn’t have been much of a debate.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I almost cancelled my order on my Rebel for a PW until I learned there's a 2 year wait for PW.
I do like that solid axle with sway bar disconnect and front lock and winch though, those are my primary reasons for switching over.
I even looked into what i'd do to mod it lol: first thing first, Carli Dominator kit, then probably GFC camper and Decked drawers.

But then that's because I do offroad things and i go camping so PW makes sense to me.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would 100% own a Power Wagon if I could afford one. My trailer and boat are both 21 foot small things, so towing capacity is never an issue for me. The PW is so sexy.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get what you want and afford. Buyers remorse sucks. It's your money and you worked hard for it.

Coming from a fellow poser, currently working from home (IT), reading forums, and watching Youtube. I love my Laramie for it's comfort.

Have you seen the new 2500 Rebel?

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get what you want and afford. Buyers remorse sucks. It's your money and you worked hard for it.

Coming from a fellow poser, currently working from home (IT), reading forums, and watching Youtube. I love my Laramie for it's comfort.

Have you seen the new 2500 Rebel?
Honestly, I could afford it, but my wife would not like that payment.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi I'm a truck poser, which is to say I'm a guy that really WANTs a truck, but I don't actually need one for work. I work in a dam office, which sucks, but pays well and so here I am. I thought the truck I wanted was the Ram 1500 Limited. I watched dozens of video reviews on it and I thought it was "the one" because its basically like a luxury car, which is cool, but with a 1500s size and ability to tow is I need it. WELL, about two weeks ago I discovered the Ram Power Wagon. I didn't even know this thing existed because 2500s just weren't ever a consideration for me (i.e. if I am already a poser with a 1500 then a 2500 would be being a "super" poser). But I have to say, I think I'm in love: that Power Wagon is just amazing. Anyone here ever own both? Oh and really stupid question but does the Power Wagon drink "that much" fuel??? 6.4 in a 7,000 pounder probably suck it back by the gallon eh? I guess why I saw fuel I mean in comparison to a 1500. Also, and this is a functional thing, do off road tires make that much noise compared to the 22s in the Ltd? I have to say, I do love quiet riding vehicles which I think the LTD would be, not the Power Wagon.
what do you like about the powerwagon ? im guessing its the off road look ? if yes , how.about keeping your ltd and mod it to look a little more off road , like the powerwagon? you could have the best of both

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4th gen cab and interior sucks compared with 5th gen. The main thing that bothered me in HD trucks is the lack of a telescoping steering wheel. In order to get in a comfortable seat position in reference to the steering wheel, my right knee would hit the dash that protruded down with the 4WD switching panel... very uncomfortable.

I came from a 2019 HD ram, and I am loving the 5th gen 1500 cab and interior.

The PW has a 4:10 rear axle also which makes it a good puller and crawler, not so much an expressway haul *** cruiser.

@JC

Reaction score
I almost cancelled my order on my Rebel for a PW until I learned there's a 2 year wait for PW.
Nonsense, order from one of the discount dealers (Granger, Mark Dodge, Koons or Cummins), it could be 3 months or it could be 8 but it's never going to be 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread