5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LT vs P rated tires

daberk

Reaction score
It will be time to replace tires soon and I'm trying to decide if I should get P rated (XL) or LT (E) tires. I am looking at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in a 275/55R20. My truck is 100% stock. I do have a Decked unit and a bed cap on it.

The truck is my daily driver (40 miles round trip to work and back on the freeway) and I go off road on the weekends for dog training (retriever field trials), or to get to hunting or fishing spots. Off road is some dirt/gravel roads or fields that can be wet and/or muddy. My towing is limited to a boat/trailer that weighs in the 6,000 lb. range total.

Would the LT tires be overkill and too harsh unloaded?

Thanks for your input.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Check out the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT which is hands down the best A/T out at the moment IMHO. They are E rated. I came from the Tundra community most recently and they hit like wild fire over there last year.

Super aggressive looking sidewall, nice tread and very smooth / quiet ride. Way better than the Duratracs on my current Rebel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
3037fb79c8864946d0eef7a420bab99f.jpg
d9f2f3168e454267450251f95471a0a2.jpg

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will be time to replace tires soon and I'm trying to decide if I should get P rated (XL) or LT (E) tires. I am looking at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in a 275/55R20. My truck is 100% stock. I do have a Decked unit and a bed cap on it.

The truck is my daily driver (40 miles round trip to work and back on the freeway) and I go off road on the weekends for dog training (retriever field trials), or to get to hunting or fishing spots. Off road is some dirt/gravel roads or fields that can be wet and/or muddy. My towing is limited to a boat/trailer that weighs in the 6,000 lb. range total.

Would the LT tires be overkill and too harsh unloaded?

Thanks for your input.

As long as your tires can support your loaded/towing configuration at the proper inflation, P rated will work fine. The only other reason to go with an LT tire would be if you wanted stiffer sidewalls (harsher ride) or if you drive off road somewhere with nature's road hazards. In the panhandle we have a lot of mesquite and that pretty much requires E rated sidewalls if you want to get home easy.

Users who are viewing this thread