5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LT Trailboss..

tlewis24

Reaction score
..Is what I was in the market for! Man. I have known for a few years that Ram's interior was stepping up significantly but I did not understand what I thought I knew.. I've been around GM products my whole life because of my dad whether that was a '91 Silverado, my 2018 Silverado I just sold, or any of the Vortec trucks we had anywhere in-between. I was not really seeking to unload my '18 Silverado but due to some body damage on the driver side I was a little emotionally disconnected from it and Carvana does not care about minor damage so it allowed me to escape the depreciation at a fairly steep number and put some good money down on the next tier of truck trims.

I genuinely was trying to stick with Chevrolet but even the 2021 models would have been a downgrade from my '18. What did they do to that center console stack?? Why is the cluster behind the steering wheel plain analog with an even smaller screen??.. I really wanted the 6.2l but oh well. I could not justify paying 50k-55k for what would essentially be an interior downgrade from what I already had. I've told folks before to consider Ram for interior comfort and design but have never really considered one myself.. one night when I was tired of trying to find the right outfitted LT Trailboss I decided to start watching Laramie reviews.. specifically night edition Laramie's and I was hooked.

There are so many minor details that make this truck so much more satisfying than my Silverado. Things like, sometimes I'd have to re-open and close the driver door a second time because it didn't latch.. the Ram doors almost always close under their own weight. The fact that the cluster behind the steering wheel has the 'RAM' badging at the top which moves the cluster down about 3/4th of an inch which means my steering wheel is almost never in the way of the top gauges (Chevy...take notes..). The fact that materials you touch every single day ie. the inside door handle, the push button start materials, are significantly higher quality than competitor trucks. (the trailboss push button start moves around in the insert???).

Anyways, I just got it back from paint polish and full ceramic coating at 50 miles on the odometer, it is now a little over 200 and I am still pretty shocked at the amount of detail the ram team has put into this truck. There are some very silly minor things like the powered back sliding glass not being a one-touch button or how the uConnect system still doesn't have an option for folding the mirrors on park/lock but those are quite the 1st world problems in todays world.

I cannot get over how smooth this truck drives on the road. (HD shocks from the off road package?)

2021 Laramie Night Edition
Pearl TriCoat White
Sunroof, Tow Package, 33 Gallon Tank, Powered Running Boards, Off Road Package, Fully Debadged

PXL_20210502_181922108.jpg

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks awesome dude, hope ya love it. Looks sick, love those optional wheels too. Yeah we’ve had Chevy’s and Ford’s and they’re just not nearly as nice, specifically interior. Rooting for GM tho with that major refresh that should be here by the end of the year for 2022 MY Silverado and Sierra’s. Hopefully they do a lot more to impress than the Redesigned F-150, which is really a sad letdown imo. Till then, sticking to Ram. Welcome to the forums and the Ram community. 😁

tlewis24

Reaction score
Looks awesome dude, hope ya love it. Looks sick, love those optional wheels too. Yeah we’ve had Chevy’s and Ford’s and they’re just not nearly as nice, specifically interior. Rooting for GM tho with that major refresh that should be here by the end of the year for 2022 MY Silverado and Sierra’s. Hopefully they do a lot more to impress than the Redesigned F-150, which is really a sad letdown imo. Till then, sticking to Ram. Welcome to the forums and the Ram community. 😁
Thanks! Great forums. I agree! I am hoping to see the 2022 refresh come back very competitive and elevate the entire industry another level! I thought the new Ford all digital cluster and landscape screen was a great move for them but would like to see another layer of detail in their interiors as well.

The forums here helped me ensure I got a great deal and very satisfied so far.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! Great forums. I agree! I am hoping to see the 2022 refresh come back very competitive and elevate the entire industry another level! I thought the new Ford all digital cluster and landscape screen was a great move for them but would like to see another layer of detail in their interiors as well.

The forums here helped me ensure I got a great deal and very satisfied so far.
Yeah we just sold our 2018 Lariat last month, and I drove a 2021 XLT a few months back. The interior is just so lame, plastics are really cheap, even on a Platnium/Limited. Hopefully GM and Toyota took notes and make really nice trucks.

Nels

Reaction score
My Ram story is short. I had my eyes on a Trailboss LT with 6.2L also. One Saturday my wife and I went to a dealership and drove a 6.2L and a diesel. Left the dealership thinking that was the choice I was going to make. But my wife kept commenting on how cheap and unattractive the interior was, even with leather seating. Happened to be a Ram dealer next door so we stopped to look at them. I had never been inside one. We ended up test driving one and we were hooked. Spacious, luxurious interior. Ride smooth as silk. I leveled the front and replaced the puny stock tires and I love it. I do still like the exterior look of the Trailboss though.

Limited2021

Reaction score
I was in somewhat of the same boat. I have been GM for years and love my 17 Silverado. I wasn't even looking for a new truck and the wife suggested we start looking. So I did. I really wanted an AT4 but my local dealer could not get me the one I wanted so I ordered it. After a month and GMC had not picked up my order yet I canceled it and started to consider a Denali because they had one and could get me the color I wanted. Turns out they were having an indoor sale and they sell Ford, GMC, and Ram. They had all of them inside to look at. I looked at Ford and was considering that but the wife said no. She like GMC as do I. So while I was waiting for a salesman so I could talk to him about the Denali they had on the floor I saw they had a Ram limited next to the counter. I started looking at that and all the options. Man it was way more comfortable than the Denali. The fit and finish was nicer and it was all the little things that made it so nice. The sale guy ask if I wanted to test drive it but since it was indoors I didn't want to make a big deal out of it and said no. He insisted that it would only take 5 minutes to get it out and I really should drive it before I decide. I said ok and they dug it out. I drove it 5 miles out and back and that was all it took. Came back and said get me a white one.

To bad its been 2-1/2 months and I still don't have it yet. But a it is getting closer.

tlewis24

Reaction score
I was in somewhat of the same boat. I have been GM for years and love my 17 Silverado. I wasn't even looking for a new truck and the wife suggested we start looking. So I did. I really wanted an AT4 but my local dealer could not get me the one I wanted so I ordered it. After a month and GMC had not picked up my order yet I canceled it and started to consider a Denali because they had one and could get me the color I wanted. Turns out they were having an indoor sale and they sell Ford, GMC, and Ram. They had all of them inside to look at. I looked at Ford and was considering that but the wife said no. She like GMC as do I. So while I was waiting for a salesman so I could talk to him about the Denali they had on the floor I saw they had a Ram limited next to the counter. I started looking at that and all the options. Man it was way more comfortable than the Denali. The fit and finish was nicer and it was all the little things that made it so nice. The sale guy ask if I wanted to test drive it but since it was indoors I didn't want to make a big deal out of it and said no. He insisted that it would only take 5 minutes to get it out and I really should drive it before I decide. I said ok and they dug it out. I drove it 5 miles out and back and that was all it took. Came back and said get me a white one.

To bad its been 2-1/2 months and I still don't have it yet. But a it is getting closer.
Hope you get it soon! The limited is incredible! I contemplated for a bit on a base model limited due to the amount of default options they include but just slightly out of my comfort range on pricing haha, maybe next time!

My Ram story is short. I had my eyes on a Trailboss LT with 6.2L also. One Saturday my wife and I went to a dealership and drove a 6.2L and a diesel. Left the dealership thinking that was the choice I was going to make. But my wife kept commenting on how cheap and unattractive the interior was, even with leather seating. Happened to be a Ram dealer next door so we stopped to look at them. I had never been inside one. We ended up test driving one and we were hooked. Spacious, luxurious interior. Ride smooth as silk. I leveled the front and replaced the puny stock tires and I love it. I do still like the exterior look of the Trailboss though.
Yeah me too! I still think they look pretty aggressive when one passes me. I even considered a RST for a bit but still could not settle with the cheap interior. I also ultimately took into consideration that most of my commute in this truck was going to be 70/30 city/highway and that it would probably be a much smoother driving experience overall which put me into a test drive and was sold since. I am also a sucker for night/black out edition trucks so that didn't help haha.

Limited2021

Reaction score
Hope you get it soon! The limited is incredible! I contemplated for a bit on a base model limited due to the amount of default options they include but just slightly out of my comfort range on pricing haha, maybe next time!

Yeah me too! I still think they look pretty aggressive when one passes me. I even considered a RST for a bit but still could not settle with the cheap interior. I also ultimately took into consideration that most of my commute in this truck was going to be 70/30 city/highway and that it would probably be a much smoother driving experience overall which put me into a test drive and was sold since. I am also a sucker for night/black out edition trucks so that didn't help haha.

That's the one thing I kinda wished I would have got was the Night Edition I just couldn't justify the $3995 cost for a few black parts and 22" rims. Man they sure do look nice in the white thou!

tlewis24

Reaction score
That's the one thing I kinda wished I would have got was the Night Edition I just couldn't justify the $3995 cost for a few black parts and 22" rims. Man they sure do look nice in the white thou!

I was actually surprised it isn't just a gloss black too. Once we got done with polishing and ceramic coating it has almost just as much sparkle as the tri-coat white does! I agree it was quite the add-on at 4 grand and if you add the off-road package to the sticker it deletes the 22" wheel so you end up with a black version of the premium 20" wheel (like mine) which was a little odd but I guess makes sense if they don't want you off roading on a 22" street wheel with very little side wall.

I have heard and seen a few threads of people painting or wrapping their own black-out pieces after-the-fact and saving some good change so it is doable!

1620224726922.png

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats!

I'm a lifelong Ford guy that jumped ship a couple of years ago to RAM. Best of the big 3 at the time IMO for comfort, finish, and driving.

It rides great because of the all coil suspension with the multi-link (aka 4-bar) rear suspension. Bumps that would chip my teeth at any reasonable speed in my last truck (Ford F-250) my RAM takes in stride.

tlewis24

Reaction score
Congrats!

I'm a lifelong Ford guy that jumped ship a couple of years ago to RAM. Best of the big 3 at the time IMO for comfort, finish, and driving.

It rides great because of the all coil suspension with the multi-link (aka 4-bar) rear suspension. Bumps that would chip my teeth at any reasonable speed in my last truck (Ford F-250) my RAM takes in stride.
Oh wow I just read into that as you mentioned it. No leaf springs? That is quite unique! The trailing link setup with the independent coil and spring looks pretty robust. My '18 Silverado already had one bulletin for its leaf springs within the first 20k miles. Interested in how the multi-link holds up over time! The double wishbone trailing arms in the front is also pretty stout stuff.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the LD RAM has been coils in the back since '09 or so.

The 2500s also have all coil springs so it should it should hold up pretty well.

tlewis24

Reaction score
I think the LD RAM has been coils in the back since '09 or so.

The 2500s also have all coil springs so it should it should hold up pretty well.
even better, proven tech and robust enough for 3/4th ton trucks

Users who are viewing this thread