5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowest You Can Go Without Problems Towing

qdude79

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving, All! Seriously considering my first new Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel. Lurking for some time on here, wanting to know everyone's experience with lowering and towing. What's the lowest you can go and still have the full tow capacity of these trucks? Not opposed to helper bags.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you already have OEM air suspension installed?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whatever the door sticker says is your rating. I have the Limited and I think my sticker is 1385. Lowering may very well reduce capacity, but likewise no mods will raise it. You may get rid of sag. but the load capacity doesn't change.
When I tow I leave the automatic adjustment for the air suspension active, and at 60 it drops to aero. Have had no problems at all unless I overload the rear axle and it locks the air ride out.
If it's a low-rider you are looking for, don't tow.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Beyond what Trooper4 already said, nobody can answer your question because every cm you lower your truck is a cm of suspension travel you no longer have, and nobody knows what weight you're pulling. If you're pulling a jetski you can lose an inch of suspension and not notice it, if you're towing an 8000 pound travel trailer you don't even want to consider lowering it.

Trucks are trucks, they're not cars. Lowering it really is a bad idea if you want to use your truck as a truck.

Users who are viewing this thread