5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowering ORP 4x4

spb_sloram

Reaction score
Here’s a weird one...

Call me crazy, call me stupid - but I’m really interested in lowering my truck, however it’s got the off-road package on it. When I bought it I didn’t do my homework on the package, I thought it was just skid plates, axle lock, and AT tires. Didn’t know it came with an additional lift.

In theory, the front struts are different from a standard coil suspension because the front struts are an inch taller. Does anyone know what exactly is different on the suspension from a standard truck to an ORP truck (not the Rebel)? Is it just the front strut? Is the rear different in any way? I’m wondering if I can get away with using a 2/4 drop on the ORP front strut... or even find a donor truck to swap suspensions out need be.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The struts are a different part number but are not what gives the lift. The front and rear springs on the ORP trucks are an inch taller and give the additional lift.

Handcruser

Reaction score
I am working on this same thing right now with an off-road shop. They are researching. I’ll chime back in when I know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spb_sloram

Reaction score
I reached out to MaxTrac Suspension about the 2/4 drop and if they tested it at all. Turns out they did:

“When recently working on a “North Edition” I found that because the truck had a factory 1” lift front and rear, Ram made a rear trac bar bracket on the axle 1” taller than the normal one, so our relocation bracket does not line up with the factory hole. Also, since it has a 1” lift front and rear, our rear coils actually give the truck a 5” drop. This truck also had a lift coil, not a longer strut for the front so when testing our kit, the front sat higher than the rear. If you were willing to add a lift spacer to the rear and modify the trac bar bracket, you could make our kit work on your truck. The coils and struts all bolt in fine, its just the rear trac bar bracket and drop heights that are off.”

Starting to sound like it’d end up being a 1/3 drop if the ORP front spring and a spacer + the maxtrac 4” drop rear spring are used. I’m curious if tracking down a ‘normal’ front spring would work, and then just skip the rear spacer.

Handcruser

Reaction score
So I’m trying to do a 2” drop in the rear to level mine out instead of doing a 2” lift in the front. If I drop the rear by 2”, it should be the same as a regular non-orp with a 2” front level. That’s my thinking. Make sense?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reached out to MaxTrac Suspension about the 2/4 drop and if they tested it at all. Turns out they did:

“When recently working on a “North Edition” I found that because the truck had a factory 1” lift front and rear, Ram made a rear trac bar bracket on the axle 1” taller than the normal one, so our relocation bracket does not line up with the factory hole. Also, since it has a 1” lift front and rear, our rear coils actually give the truck a 5” drop. This truck also had a lift coil, not a longer strut for the front so when testing our kit, the front sat higher than the rear. If you were willing to add a lift spacer to the rear and modify the trac bar bracket, you could make our kit work on your truck. The coils and struts all bolt in fine, its just the rear trac bar bracket and drop heights that are off.”

Starting to sound like it’d end up being a 1/3 drop if the ORP front spring and a spacer + the maxtrac 4” drop rear spring are used. I’m curious if tracking down a ‘normal’ front spring would work, and then just skip the rear spacer.
Purchase some non off-road package front springs to install and you could skip the rear spacer. This would essentially give you a 3/5 drop since you had an extra inch to start with.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m trying to do a 2” drop in the rear to level mine out instead of doing a 2” lift in the front. If I drop the rear by 2”, it should be the same as a regular non-orp with a 2” front level. That’s my thinking. Make sense?

You have the off-road package? If so, nobody makes a rear coil that will work that way. Your coil spring is an inch longer than a non off-road package. Purchasing a 2” lowering spring wil actual drop your rear 3 inches and leave you a little nose high. You could also purchase non off-road package springs for the front to lower the front down an inch. That would make you 1” lower in the front and 3” lower in the rear, also would be equal to a non off-road package truck with lowering springs.

Handcruser

Reaction score
****. Ok. So I need to level the front basically.

Thanks man.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
****. Ok. So I need to level the front basically.

Thanks man.

Just depends on which look you are going for. Either are possible, lowering the rear would just require you to do a bit more to make it level.

Badmonkey

Reaction score
I would trade you my stock springs off mine and struts for your Off Road suspension. I am keeping an eye out for the a complete ORP setup more or less. My sport feels low to me. And I am not interested in doing a lift more or less. I will be doing a level maybe but no plans to run too high or too big of a tire. I drive too much on the highway to and from work.

spb_sloram

Reaction score
Purchase some non off-road package front springs to install and you could skip the rear spacer. This would essentially give you a 3/5 drop since you had an extra inch to start with.
Interesting thought... worth looking into it! Thanks!

spb_sloram

Reaction score
I would trade you my stock springs off mine and struts for your Off Road suspension. I am keeping an eye out for the a complete ORP setup more or less. My sport feels low to me. And I am not interested in doing a lift more or less. I will be doing a level maybe but no plans to run too high or too big of a tire. I drive too much on the highway to and from work.
PM sent!

Users who are viewing this thread