5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lower control arm wear, is this normal?

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
I was putting my new mudflaps on today and I noticed some wear marks on my lower control arms and knuckle (I think, knuckle) if you turn full lock back and forth they rub together and it looks like it's going to damage both more the longer that happens. Is this normal, it seems like failure on these two peices is going to be a problem.

Attachments

• 20220607_085104.jpg
    20220607_085104.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220607_085040.jpg
    20220607_085040.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220607_085153.jpg
    20220607_085153.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 76

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to see (can't tell at all in third picture): circle the area of concern?

What I do see, the shiny metal on the knuckle's bump, is a mechanical stop. Perfectly okay for that to hit the LCA. At least, AIUI. ;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stop turning the wheels to full lock and you won't have that. Those rubs marks are on the stops that you hit when turning wheels to full lock. They prevent the cylinders in the steering rack from over extending and getting damaged. So when the wheel stops turning, it's because those prices are hitting each other.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
It seems like that could be a critical problem for these trucks if that is damaged that much after only 3k miles. Not so much problem on the knuckle but on the lower control arm that could be a real safety problem with the stress that's put onto it over the years of use and more wear. How can this be safe, it's eventually going to fail. I luckily don't go full lock that much unless backing up into tight space or parking a trailer but that looks like a peice that's meant to fail probably a day after warranty expires too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-012949_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220608-012949_Gallery.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220608-013928_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220608-013928_Gallery.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 34

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
Stop turning the wheels to full lock and you won't have that. Those rubs marks are on the stops that you hit when turning wheels to full lock. They prevent the cylinders in the steering rack from over extending and getting damaged. So when the wheel stops turning, it's because those prices are hitting each other.
Thanks for your post, that’s not really helpful, (PART IS) do you still speed when people tell you not to speed? Just saying :rolleyes:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your post, that’s not really helpful, (PART IS) do you still speed when people tell you not to speed? Just saying :rolleyes:
It was sarcasm that was lost on you. :Rolleyes: People put hundreds of thousands of miles on these trucks and it's never been an issue. The suspension is the same that was used in the 4th gen Rams.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Drive more. Worry less.

Those are your steering stops. They are doing their job. And that’s what happens when metal meets metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Patient: It hurts when I go like this. Doctor: So don't go like that. If you navigate uneven terrain with the wheels at full lock, there's going to be rubbing somewhere, and these are the designated points. Notice how the casting is beefed up right there. Some wear is expected, and if you do it a lot there will be a lot of wear. You could probably smear a bit of grease on it from time to time if it really worries you.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s nothing a 6-pack and 30lbs of duct tape couldn’t fix.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
Patient: It hurts when I go like this. Doctor: So don't go like that. If you navigate uneven terrain with the wheels at full lock, there's going to be rubbing somewhere, and these are the designated points. Notice how the casting is beefed up right there. Some wear is expected, and if you do it a lot there will be a lot of wear. You could probably smear a bit of grease on it from time to time if it really worries you.
I don't think grease is really going to save the metal rubbing away. My point with this whole thing was this is a terrible design flaw, it's built to eventually fail and when it does it's going to be either A. Dangerous or B. Just expensive if your lucky. Why have the horn made out of metal, why not have that part made out of a changeable flat Teflon or some related thing that can wear out and easily be replaced. How many people actually look at this area, I'm guessing 15% because most people like to pay others to install stuff on there truck.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol. How many different vehicles have you looked at in that location? That’s how most do their steering stops.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol. How many different vehicles have you looked at in that location? That’s how most do their steering stops.

Obviously they designed them to fail just out of warranty so people have to pay to replace. Although, I've never had to replace a control arm our knuckle due to excessive wear of the stops.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why have the horn made out of metal, why not have that part made out of a changeable flat Teflon or some related thing that can wear out and easily be replaced.
Most users will not experience significant wear to these parts. Driving with the wheels at full lock on more than rare occasions is not in the expected performance vs. cost envelope. You could design a retrofit kit with some kind of wear plate like you describe and see what the market will bear...

Users who are viewing this thread