5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lower Control Arm Replacement

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their lower control arms yet? I'm curious how long this project may take and if it's worth doing myself without access to a lift. I plan to install the Mevotech lowers because they are half the price of OEM and prob better quality.
My lower ball joints have play in them already at 36k 😡 which is the reason for replacing.

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their lower control arms yet? I'm curious how long this project may take and if it's worth doing myself without access to a lift. I plan to install the Mevotech lowers because they are half the price of OEM and prob better quality.
My lower ball joints have play in them already at 36k 😡 which is the reason for replacing.
What did you end up doing? I'm running into this myself, and I can't believe that you need to replace the entire control arm instead of the ball joint. I'm furious.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I'm running into this myself, and I can't believe that you need to replace the entire control arm instead of the ball joint. I'm furious.
I know it sucks to replace the whole lower 😡. I ordered the Mevotechs and they are getting installed by a local shop on the 19th. I just replaced the swaybar bushings and my suspension Maxx end links will be here today for install. Once these are all swapped out I will literally have replaced every front end suspension component lol. If I still have any clunking after that then I give up. I suspect it's the lower ball joints though.

On a side note the Mevotech ball joints can be removed and replaced for future issues if any.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need a lift to replace control arms. You do need a decent impact gun and good jack stands. All in all it's not that difficult of a job. Curious what your local shop is charging for installation. BTW - Thanks for posting the link to those MevoTech's in your other thread...I'll certainly go that route when the time comes.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't need a lift to replace control arms. You do need a decent impact gun and good jack stands. All in all it's not that difficult of a job. Curious what your local shop is charging for installation. BTW - Thanks for posting the link to those MevoTech's in your other thread...I'll certainly go that route when the time comes.
I was quoted 3 hrs tops at $100/hr rate. We shall see.

Jercan

Reaction score
Any updates on this I’m going through the exact same thing! I’m in clunk hell! Lol

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any updates on this I’m going through the exact same thing! I’m in clunk hell! Lol
I would rule out your front sway bar end links and bushings first if you haven't done so already.
Your vehicle specs might be helpful as well.....stock? level? lift?

I replaced my LCA's with Mevotechs and it solved my clunking issue. I have been very happy with them so far?

Jercan

Reaction score
I would rule out your front sway bar end links and bushings first if you haven't done so already.
Your vehicle specs might be helpful as well.....stock? level? lift?

I replaced my LCA's with Mevotechs and it solved my clunking issue. I have been very happy with them so far?
The end links have just been replaced. I'm debating doing the lower control arms myself. Got quoted $2500 through the stealership using the Mevotechs CMS251269-70.

Jercan

Reaction score
The end links have just been replaced. I'm debating doing the lower control arms myself. Got quoted $2500 through the stealership using the Mevotechs CMS251269-70.
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with Air Suspension and 22" Wheels. Thinking of using the Mevotech CTXMS251269-70 but not sure if its worth the extra $. Also going to replace the brakes and rotors at the same time. Eying the Power Stop's but can't decide between the KOE8183 stock replacements or one of their upgrades? Not to worried about the brakes and rotor DIY but a little concerned about the Lower Control Arms.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is highway robbery 😳. Below was my cost using a reputable shop near me.

Costs:
LT and RT lowers (Mevotech) = $406
Install labor = $305
Alignment = $105

Total = $816

Users who are viewing this thread