5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Voltage Reading

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This morning I got into my truck and got a low voltage message. The initial gage was reading 11.8V. I needed to drive about 45 miles to a job site so I headed out thinking it might get better as I drove. I got about 20 miles in and the voltage reading dropped to 11.5V, so i turned around and went back home to get a different car. By the time I got home, the gage read 11.3V. After transferring all my gear to a different vehicle, I decided to restart the truck and see what it would do. I restarted and it read 14.0V as if nothing happened. Is this the start of the charging system issues I've read that other folks have? I made an appointment for tomorrow to take it into the dealer. There's certainly some electrical gremlins going on. Will update when I know more.

2022-10-25 Low Voltage.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Vehicle information? How old is the battery? Is it the original? The batteries are junk.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vehicle information? How old is the battery? Is it the original? The batteries are junk.
Yes, my vehicle info is in my signature. 2022 Limited 5.7 etorque. Delivery was at the end of March 2022. Yes it is the original battery.

Depending on what the dealer says, I may go ahead and pull the trigger on the H8. I'll need to rad through the threads for brand recommendations.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Etorque system seems to eat batteries faster then a normal charge system, not sure what the reasoning is.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yes, my vehicle info is in my signature. 2022 Limited 5.7 etorque. Delivery was at the end of March 2022. Yes it is the original battery.

Depending on what the dealer says, I may go ahead and pull the trigger on the H8. I'll need to rad through the threads for brand recommendations.
Those of us using the Tapatalk app can't see signatures.

Dewey

Reaction score
The Etorque system seems to eat batteries faster then a normal charge system, not sure what the reasoning is.
Totally agree. Never seen this problem so early before eTorque came about. Some say bad batteries but I’m very skeptical of that.

Curious if any TRX’s are seeing this issue. No eTorque there and pretty sure they use the same batteries. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
Totally agree. Never seen this problem so early before eTorque came about. Some say bad batteries but I’m very skeptical of that.
I've had mine for 2 years and 33,000 miles so far and the same battery from the factory. Don't think it has anything to do with eTorque. Bad grounds, relays and fuses not pushed in all the way, bad batteries, etc. There have been a lot of misc issues with quality too.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
The actual alert was for the charging system. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

View attachment 142229
and the charging system is different with the etorque system
you have a generator and not an alternator. the generator charges the 48 volt battery behind the rear seat. and because the 48 volt battery is higher then the 12 volt used to run the truck it relies on trickle down to keep the 12 volt charged

"RAM eTorque uses a 48-volt battery pack, which is made by LG Chem in Michigan. This company also makes the battery cells used in the Chevy Volt and Bolt EV. The battery pack weighs about 30 pounds and provides 430 watt-hours of energy. A DC-to-DC converter in the battery pack converts 48 volts to 12 volts for electrical loads and charges the starting battery. This system is also able to power all of the truck’s accessories, including the radio, lights, and navigation."

Kenco037

Reaction score
I noticed my voltage this morning was 13.0v. 2022 1500 5.7l e-torque. Just picked up last week. 110 miles. Start/stop engaged. Did rise to 13.6v, then down to 13v at idle before start/stop engaged again. I would assume start stop doesn't engage if voltage is too low. I know on delivery, voltage was 14.3v as I was going through cluster options.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Etorque motor draining the battery and/or failure. My Etorque motor was replaced prior to 36k with the same issues. Dead battery, "auto-stop/start error" etc. You should be consistently high 13's low to mid 14's with a properly working Etorque and good battery.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to close the loop on this issue. I got my truck back from the dealer this afternoon. Of course, they couldn't duplicate the problem. They checked the charging syetem and the battery and declared it all good. They said they checked an no code was stored. I told them that was prety strange since the truck had an obvious warning message on the dash tellingme the charging system had an issue and to take it in for service. The app then notified me the same. They've documented it in case it happens again. On the plus side, I did go ahead and get the etorque (not a recall) "customer satisfaction" reflash that adjusts the AS/S.

Users who are viewing this thread