5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low tailgate causing issue with Trailer coupler latch

93CBRA

Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue? I have a clam shell snowmobile trailer and a utility trailer and with both trailers I cannot back up to the hitch with the tailgate down. The coupler latch will hit the tail gate, these Ram tailgates seem to be extra thick at the end. I tried to find low profile trailer couplers but I can't find one for my utility trailer as it has only a 2.5" channel. I've never had this issue with any other truck, seems odd.
I need the gate down to fit another snowmobile or ATV.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue? I have a clam shell snowmobile trailer and a utility trailer and with both trailers I cannot back up to the hitch with the tailgate down. The coupler latch will hit the tail gate, these Ram tailgates seem to be extra thick at the end. I tried to find low profile trailer couplers but I can't find one for my utility trailer as it has only a 2.5" channel. I've never had this issue with any other truck, seems odd.
I haven’t encountered that, but I can see where the thickness could pose an issue. Quits an oversight, actually. I guess you should be thankful you don’t have a GMC MultiPro tailgate!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can go with an adjustable hitch and drop the ball height enough to lower the trailer tongue. Then you'll have more clearance.

That is if I'm understanding your problem......

93CBRA

Reaction score
Yes that's the problem but unfortunately I do have an adjustable hitch but can't lower it because it will make the trailer not level.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that is crazy. My tailgate is no where near my coupler, but then I have 7.75 inches of drop. But even with my WDH which was way to high...it still didn't.

I never noticed the 2019 tailgate to look that much thicker than the 2018...but you obviously have an issue and that sucks.

You said you can not do a lower drop, so I unfortunately have nothing else to suggest.

If you get a chance shoot us a pic.

slimchance

Reaction score
in another forum i posted about this same problem .. when my WD hitch is set to make the TT level the hitch clip almost hits the tailgate at the backup camera ... the concensus was i did not know how to set the WD correctly

93CBRA

Reaction score
Wow, that is crazy. My tailgate is no where near my coupler, but then I have 7.75 inches of drop. But even with my WDH which was way to high...it still didn't.

I never noticed the 2019 tailgate to look that much thicker than the 2018...but you obviously have an issue and that sucks.

You said you can not do a lower drop, so I unfortunately have nothing else to suggest.

If you get a chance shoot us a pic.

Yeah when I run my 22' enclosed snowmobile trailer it is a very low trailer, probably like what you're use to (or people pulling campers) and I lower my ball so there's no issue. But my utility trailer sits so high that the ball has to sit high, and like the poster below the coupler when open hits my camera and tailgate. I'll take a picture when I get a second. Also, I watched the video you posted and my extender isn't that long, so I might look into that. My tongue weight would be super low since its like a 1900lbs capacity trailer and I'd only have one ATV on it.

Rustydodge

Reaction score

Curious why to want to back up with your tailgate down? Doesn't that make your backup camera by the tailgate latch useless? I supposed you probably loaded the snowmobile or ATV first.

If your coupler latch is what is hitting, i assume your hitch has little to no drop, or you have your hitch in up-side-down? I could see some jacks getting in the way, but surprised you have issues with the latch.

93CBRA

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's a picture of my issue. Its actually much worse when there's an ATV or sled in the back of the truck as it pulls the bed down more. With this trailer I can get a low profile hitch coupler so hoping that works. With my utility trailer I'll try the extended hitch. Anyways just wanted to add pictures so you know what I'm talking about.
IMG_6868.jpg IMG_6870.jpg IMG_6872.jpg

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's a picture of my issue. Its actually much worse when there's an ATV or sled in the back of the truck as it pulls the bed down more. With this trailer I can get a low profile hitch coupler so hoping that works. With my utility trailer I'll try the extended hitch. Anyways just wanted to add pictures so you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the pics.

This would be difficult to remember, but you could re-latch your hitch coupler after unhooking every time. That would leave it down possibly enough to clear the tailgate when you pull away and the next time when you back up. Then reach under, unlatch the coupler, hook up, then re-latch.

Definitely don't want to go with a drop hitch as you're level already.

93CBRA

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.

This would be difficult to remember, but you could re-latch your hitch coupler after unhooking every time. That would leave it down possibly enough to clear the tailgate when you pull away and the next time when you back up. Then reach under, unlatch the coupler, hook up, then re-latch.

Definitely don't want to go with a drop hitch as you're level already.
Hmmm, I feel like I tried that this winter but now don't really remember. But yes I'll try that for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread