5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low-speed shifting seems bumpy

keanezheng

Reaction score
I just got my RAM used with 7000~ miles. I noticed even though ZF8 is a well-praised transmission online, it does not live up to its reputation on my truck. At low speeds at 1-2 gear, it jerks and will drag or push me when I press gas or brake. It is not noticeable at high speeds. This low-speed shifting jerks almost feel like the 5 speed in my 2014 Charger R/T. That was an ancient transmission model...

Should I bring it to the dealer? Do yours shift smoothly like silk? Will they charge a diagnosis fee as that's what they tried to do last time when I brought in my Charger for a transmission code and it ended up being low fluid even though mine was a CPO and low fluid level should have not happened.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Many of us have this same issue. I've taken mine in several times for different software updates that address it but it's still clunky. I don't think they have a fix for it but you should take it in and let them try.

And no, there should be no charge for a warranty related concern. If they try to charge you, go elsewhere.

popcenator

Reaction score
I have that issue from time to time. I don't think it's the transmission, I believe it's in the programming. I've reset my truck a few times and the issue goes away for a while, then seems to come back. If it was the transmission it would be persistent no matter what. I've gotten used to it and it no longer bothers me as much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Mine was good until about 2000 miles. I've noticed it acting weird slowing down and at lower speed shifting (1-2 mainly)

sman301

Reaction score
I get this from time to time. Not often. It's the software for sure. It happens when the truck is about to shift up or down but I hit gas or brake

sman301 sman301 sman301

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Every once in a while, only in parking lots when I'm driving very slow, using just enough pedal to keep my speed pretty much constant, and truck isn't sure whether to stay in first or jump to second, sometimes in that case it's a hard shift. If I'm going from a stop light, I have never noticed a hard shift.

keanezheng

Reaction score
I have that issue from time to time. I don't think it's the transmission, I believe it's in the programming. I've reset my truck a few times and the issue goes away for a while, then seems to come back. If it was the transmission it would be persistent no matter what. I've gotten used to it and it no longer bothers me as much.

I believe it’s the software too, how do you reset your truck?

popcenator

Reaction score
Just unplug the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes.

Stickshift

Reaction score
I can feel every gear downshift from 7 to 3. The 4 to 3 has the hardest clunk in my 2019 ram. When the car downshifts I can feel the engine over-rev and the truck slows down like engine breaking. I just picked up this truck with 20k miles now 25k. 5.7 etorque , 391 gears. My previous truck was a 2019 ram new body style that I put on 22k miles with 5.7 non etorque and that car shifted smooth like glass up and down. Even though my new truck has more options I regret trading my old truck. Im old man and hate to drive cars with clunky transmission. Dealer did update and it didn't make a difference. I'm ready to get rid of this truck. I don't know why I didn't notice this when I test drove the car. The upshift are fine.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I can feel every gear downshift from 7 to 3. The 4 to 3 has the hardest clunk in my 2019 ram. When the car downshifts I can feel the engine over-rev and the truck slows down like engine breaking. I just picked up this truck with 20k miles now 25k. 5.7 etorque , 391 gears. My previous truck was a 2019 ram new body style that I put on 22k miles with 5.7 non etorque and that car shifted smooth like glass up and down. Even though my new truck has more options I regret trading my old truck. Im old man and hate to drive cars with clunky transmission. Dealer did update and it didn't make a difference. I'm ready to get rid of this truck. I don't know why I didn't notice this when I test drove the car. The upshift are fine.

Man that sucks. Have u taken it to the dealer yet? I understand the frustration. Before I got my Ram I was leasing a 2017 Charger SXT with the Rallye package. The transmission was replaced at 6,700 miles because it was slipping from 3rd- 4th gear which caused excessive metal in the pan.

Well not too long after the new one was installed, I could swear it was slipping too but the dealer didn’t agree with me on that. Anyway, the thing was a pos and I hated driving it everyday even with the new transmission.

Some things u may want to try that could help ur shifting situation would be to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so, reconnect and go for a drive. Also, one trick that seemed to help with my Charger was to get in after everything has shut down (sleeping), put the ignition into the run position without starting the truck, let it cycle through all the bulb checks on the dash, slowly move the gas pedal down and slowly bring it back up within 10 seconds. Then put ur foot on the brake pedal and start the truck. Go for a drive and see how it shifts.

If I remember correctly this procedure helps with resetting the pcm or tcm. I can’t remember exactly. U could do the procedure a couple times in a row just to make sure before driving.

Also, if this doesn’t seem to work, u could pull the pcm or tcm fuse for about 30 minutes then try the above procedure.

JetMech

Reaction score
I just got my RAM used with 7000~ miles. I noticed even though ZF8 is a well-praised transmission online, it does not live up to its reputation on my truck. At low speeds at 1-2 gear, it jerks and will drag or push me when I press gas or brake. It is not noticeable at high speeds. This low-speed shifting jerks almost feel like the 5 speed in my 2014 Charger R/T. That was an ancient transmission model...

Should I bring it to the dealer? Do yours shift smoothly like silk? Will they charge a diagnosis fee as that's what they tried to do last time when I brought in my Charger for a transmission code and it ended up being low fluid even though mine was a CPO and low fluid level should have not happened.

I have the same issue with mine. Brought it in to dealer to checkout. They did a software update that helped out slightly but still very noticable. I would bring it in just to get it on record.

rebellion55

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with this in the past couple years? I have a 2020 Rebel with the same issue and can't seem to resolve it.
Also, anyone with this issue had an problems towing? I'm looking to buy a travel trailer soon and am concerned this could be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread