5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Speed Cold Brake Squeak

sweatstang

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram with 8k miles has a high pitched brake squeak when braking at low speeds when I first start driving when the brakes are cold. For example there is a bank right next to my work, when I make the very short drive then brake to pull up to the teller the brakes make this squeaking sound. I can also hear it some times when going through a drive thru that is slow that seemingly gives the brakes time to cool off. Once the brakes warm up with normal driving they are quiet and work fine at all times. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal, expected brake noise? I’m hesitant to take my Ram into my local dealer as they are not the greatest and will likely give me the runaround about this being normal or say they can’t recreate the noise and I’ll end up wasting a bunch of time and only end up frustrated. Thanks!

glasswagon

Reaction score

Quint

Reaction score
This is pretty normal on most vehicles to develop a coating overnight that produces a slight squeak upon the next use. What is not normal is for it to squeak all of the time.

My 2006 Ranger had a consistent squeak from the factory. It was one of the many problems with that truck. They swapped brake pads multiple times, machined the rotors, switched to ceramic pads, and then after a second or third machining of the rotors I demanded that they replace them. The new rotors did not squeak.

Users who are viewing this thread