5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Oil Pressure Fix.

Paco

Reaction score
I changed my oil and when I removed the oil filter it took at least 20 turns with my crescent wrench.
Put my New filter on and it took about 10-12 turns Weird but believed I had installed it correct and it was snugg.

Drove for a couple hours off and on, and while driving oil light came on.
Pulled over shut off truck.
Checked dipstick good.
Checked drain plug good.
Made no sense.
Stared up truck oil pressure drop to 2psi.
Shut off and was going to call dealer.

Sat and thought about what it could be????.
Everything checked out except filter.
Unscrewed filter, took about 10-12 turns???.

Pulled filter out checked it over, then slowly started to rethread it, not forcing it on with any pressure.
Took about 20 turns.

I dont know what the deal is, but it does not thread in correctly.
I had a 2014 and I did all my own oil changes and never had a problem till now.

Anyway if you can count your turns removing it, you should get the same putting it back on.
If you dont, its not on right.

My guess is the supplier for these New style filters is Chinese, and the treads are not correct.

Hope that helps.
Yes I always oil the filter and rubber before reinstalling.

+

tolh13

Reaction score
It sounds like a 3rd gen EcoDiesel, because that's exactly what happened to me.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like a 3rd gen EcoDiesel, because that's exactly what happened to me.
Does it have some kind of valve in the block or filter that opens as you're screwing it on? If not, 8 threads difference is a bunch and I don't see how you wouldn't have an oily mess.

tolh13

Reaction score
I don't know but it was a Mopar filter and i put it on till it was tight and got the low-pressure light after a day of driving and found only a few drops of oil around the filter so I Luckly had a wrench and backed of the filter some and really, really tighten it down ( you could see the bottom was against the block. It took more torque to put this on than any other filter i have done

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oil filters normally just need to be hand tight. You don’t want to smash the seal on them

Jake103

Reaction score
Sounds odd, for one why are you counting turns when you thread a oil filter? You hand tight till its bottomed out make sure its flush than tighten with wrench a 1/4 turn if you want. What filter did you use? Did you check the threads before putting it on? Sometimes even though its new the filters can have burrs or messed up threads. Hopefully you didnt cross thread. A faulty oil filter can cause low oil pressure if something inside is messed up. Did you check your oil on a level surface? If the filter didn't tighten you would have an oily mess. My guess is a faulty oil filter. I would just replace the filter and refill what oil was lost and try again. Lastly is it the correct filter? I've seen wrong filters put on vehicles before.

Last edited:

tolh13

Reaction score
No double gaskets, it has lots of threads and hand tight will not get it even close to bottomed out. someone else posted that it really needed to be tighten down beyond what one would think and i did not listen and I was wrong. This filter is not the same as my 2nd gen and really goes on hard.

U

User_3336

I changed my oil and when I removed the oil filter it took at least 20 turns with my crescent wrench.
Put my New filter on and it took about 10-12 turns Weird but believed I had installed it correct and it was snugg.

Checked dipstick good.
Checked drain plug good.
Made no sense.

Pulled filter out checked it over, then slowly started to rethread it, not forcing it on with any pressure.
Took about 20 turns.

Anyway if you can count your turns removing it, you should get the same putting it back on.

My guess is the supplier for these New style filters is Chinese, and the treads are not correct.

Hope that helps.

+
Are we bring pranked here?? Where's PACO?

tolh13

Reaction score
This is from a different forum
#7 · Sep 3, 2021

Just to add to this, another issue that is common is that when the new oil filters get installed, they don't get tightened properly. There is more resistance with the new filters as they are being threaded into the base, and a lot of people falsely assume that the filter is seated when in actuality it is not. And then within a week or two they get a low oil pressure light. I'm seeing that pretty frequently here lately. So just keep an eye on that too.

The filter should never be over tightened, but it SHOULD be tightened until it completely seats against the stop.

2022 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 - Hemi non-eTorque - 3.21 gear - 2" lift - Level 1 package - Trailering Tech group - Sport Appearance package
Reactions:sourdo, MR. TED, Roby and 1 other person

tolh13

Reaction score
And 1 more post

#14 · Sep 7, 2021

Just to add to this, another issue that is common is that when the new oil filters get installed, they don't get tightened properly. There is more resistance with the new filters as they are being threaded into the base, and a lot of people falsely assume that the filter is seated when in actuality it is not. And then within a week or two they get a low oil pressure light. I'm seeing that pretty frequently here lately. So just keep an eye on that too.

The filter should never be over tightened, but it SHOULD be tightened until it completely seats against the stop.
You hit the nail on the head with properly tightening the oil filter. Same issue on my vehicle two weeks after oil change, came up 15minutes into my drive to Utah, no time to research so we took another vehicle. Was dreading taking to the dealer, problem solved in 5 minutes this AM.

Thanks!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Checked dipstick good.
Checked drain plug good.
Made no sense.

Took about 20 turns.

Hope that helps.

+
what is the engine in your truck?

Users who are viewing this thread