5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low hum noise on 4WD

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@2021EcoDiesel
Thank you for your advice. I will definitely ask the dealership for a record.
It is exactly what you explained. Dealer told me the same thing and nothing they can do about it. I experience this noise when I’m in low speed. Maybe 20-30km doing left/right turn. The brake squeaks are just random. I did a 2.5” bilstein lift in the front, could it be that the alignment isn’t done properly? Does my ABS/4wd need to be recalibrated?

@Scram1500
Thanks. I did inflate my tires to 39 on all four but the infotainment is showing 1 off on the right tire/rear tires at times.
I'd lower the rears at least 10 psi

Gnix

Reaction score
Thank you guys!

I have bought the vlinker mc+ along with the adapter. Haven’t use it yet since I just swapped out the 33s for oem. I do have another local dealership around the area, will have them to inspect the noise and brake squeak too.

I will deflate my tires tomorrow. Hopefully it can resolve something.

Thanks again

Bigdwisco

Reaction score
My experience with my 2022 is it is way louder in both 4 high and 4 auto than my 2018. It is also way tighter when turning as well with some binding on clear pavement. 2018 never made a sound and never bound up turning. The transfer cases on these trucks are just different by design and I believe the noise is normal.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your 33” tires are LT metric / E range by any chance, you really should not let out that much air. 29 psi would’ve a recipe for disaster on any highway trip of duration.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Both DT Rams that I have owned had a slight hum with 4wd engaged, initially after not being used for a while. Either that sound went away with use, or I got used to it, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. If the fluid is good and at the proper level, and the sound doesn't get louder, you should be fine.

Scram1500

Reaction score
If your 33” tires are LT metric / E range by any chance, you really should not let out that much air. 29 psi would’ve a recipe for disaster on any highway trip of duration.
I run 42 in the front and 32 in the rear (unloaded of course) on 33" E range tires. I'd run 30 in the rear but the pressure warning light comes on, just another reason for me to consider AlphaOBD or Tazer. Was running 44 psi all around and my rear contact patch was very small, almost no tire deflection, traction was sub-par and wearing quickly on the center treads. Since lowering the psi in the rears, ride and traction improved along with a better wear pattern across the tread. There hasn't been any ill affect to my tires.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sincerely glad you’ve seen no issues. The math just makes me a bit nervous, that’s super low per the inflation tables. Perhaps I’m overly touchy to it having lived through the Firestone Exploder debacle.

Granted I’ve lowered mine a bit from time to time for ride and drag strip traction. But then right back up to minimum allowable for the weight.

Now OP has 2 viewpoints to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnix

Reaction score
Dealership did say it’s normal on dry days. I’ve been running 4WD Auto since October. Some days are louder and some days I don’t hear a thing….

Im not on 33s right now. It’s stock 31 Bridgestone HL(no idea what specs the tires are) I did checked my specification and the recommended psi all around is 39. During colder days it’s down to 37 and after highway I’m sitting at 41-42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online