5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud popping. No start.

charlieray2727

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2019 New design RAM 1500 Limited. 5&,000 miles without a single repair.
Went to start it this afternoon and all I get is a very loud “pop” from behind the dash or under the hood. Checked battery with a multi meter nad it is showing 11.8 volts weather is not a factor where I am located.
Before I replace the battery what else should I check? I have it on a charger now to see if I can get it to start so I can go get the batt checked with a load.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can check the ground points to make sure they are clean and secure. Before you change the battery, have it tested. It may not have any amps. Does it help if you jump it?

I have a 2019 also and had to change my battery this year.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad battery to me. Others have said the pop is the speaker popping from amp. Take battery to a parts store and have it tested before buying a new one.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Another thing to mention is some of the chain parts store battery testers are not too accurate. If you can find a company who does car electrical (battery, alternators, starters, etc) they will usually have a true load tester instead of those cheap ones.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi I have a 2019 New design RAM 1500 Limited. 58,000 miles without a single repair.
Went to start it this afternoon and all I get is a very loud “pop” from behind the dash or under the hood. Checked battery with a multi meter nad it is showing 11.8 volts weather is not a factor where I am located.
Before I replace the battery what else should I check? I have it on a charger now to see if I can get it to start so I can go get the batt checked with a load.
11.8 volts is not enough
if it is the original factory battery then it is time for a new battery

Users who are viewing this thread