5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud metal clunk when shifting from P to R or P to D?

Starkhaus

Reaction score
At times when I shift my truck from P to R (sometimes P to D) usually in my driveway there will be a varying in volume but metal clunk and a bit of a kick when turning the dial to shift. Anyone experienced this?

I’ve also had something similar happen when driving in normal traffic and lightly pressing the brakes then going back into accelerating the truck will kind of buck or kick similar to the first issue and drive like normal afterwards.

If anyone has had similar experiences let me know!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could be two separate things.

The clunk when shifting out of park might be the parking pawl in the transmission popping out of its mating slot. Are you parking on a slight incline and not using the parking brake? Or it could be a bit of backlash in the drivetrain due to: differential ring pinion mesh a little loose - not too worrisome; bad universal joint - worrisome; loose nut on the transmission's driveshaft yoke - think there's a TSB on that.

The buck while transitioning decel/accel may be e-torque or MDS turning on/off.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Could be two separate things.

The clunk when shifting out of park might be the parking pawl in the transmission popping out of its mating slot. Are you parking on a slight incline and not using the parking brake? Or it could be a bit of backlash in the drivetrain due to: differential ring pinion mesh a little loose - not too worrisome; bad universal joint - worrisome; loose nut on the transmission's driveshaft yoke - think there's a TSB on that.

The buck while transitioning decel/accel may be e-torque or MDS turning on/off.
Yes when I experience the clunk it’s when parked in the driveway which has an incline, I use the auto parking brake feature as well so it’s always on. It doesn’t happen every time though and some time the clunk is worse than the last time or not as bad as the last. A lot of variations and isn’t too consistent which deters me from wanting to go to the dealer because they’ll just say can’t duplicate lol.

Users who are viewing this thread