5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud humming noise

Colbywaltz98

Reaction score
Tonight on my way home I heard a humming noise that would progressively get louder and then go away. I thought it was my music so I turned the radio off and I still heard the sound. To me it almost sounded like the cylinder deactivation was acting up but I couldn’t tell. I was doing about 55 mph and it was evident there was an unnatural noise that I’ve never heard in the 1300 miles I’ve put on my Bighorn. When I would slow down the noise was still there just a little quieter. Has anyone else experience this noise? Any suggestions to what it could be?

RGIL

Reaction score
Yes, My Ram has the same issue. it happens periodically and goes away if I shut it down and restart it. I went to the dealer and asked them to plug in the OBD diagnostics to it but they didn't find any errors. Mystery!

768mph

Reaction score
It’s the ANC module. There are updates for it. And a replacement TSB if warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarmb18

Reaction score
It’s the ANC module. There are updates for it. And a replacement TSB if warranted.

Have you heard anything further with this? We had our ANC module replaced and updated.
Still have the noise.
Goes off with pressing tow/haul mode button.

768mph

Reaction score
Have you heard anything further with this? We had our ANC module replaced and updated.
Still have the noise.
Goes off with pressing tow/haul mode button.

I think you may be hearing the MDS kicking in.
The ANC module booming it like a speaker sound boom, not mechanical.

elylites

Reaction score
Tonight on my way home I heard a humming noise that would progressively get louder and then go away. I thought it was my music so I turned the radio off and I still heard the sound. To me it almost sounded like the cylinder deactivation was acting up but I couldn’t tell. I was doing about 55 mph and it was evident there was an unnatural noise that I’ve never heard in the 1300 miles I’ve put on my Bighorn. When I would slow down the noise was still there just a little quieter. Has anyone else experience this noise? Any suggestions to what it could be?
Do you have the etorque system? Mine has a growl, hum that gets so loud it's louder than our music, seriously annoying. Really noticeable after towing our travel trailer. Dealer says it's the transfer of power from under the hood back under the backseat to the battery? Serious? What a noisy nuisance.
How can the noise be reduced, there has to be some answers by now, right?
My daughter and her husband rode in the backseat just last week, she couldn't believe the noise, both her and her husband are Ram drivers so they were really surprised, only difference we have the etorque system. They both said they'd pass on this system just for the noise.
Temperature, season, speed doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread