5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud horn sound from dash

Jburm

Reaction score
Move if not in the right section

Hey all, I just purchased a 2019 Ram big horn with the 3.6L. hoping someone might be able to help me out. On 3 separate occasions once in a drive through so hot motor, once about 5 minutes after start up but had not been driven/put into gear yet, and the last time I had been parked idling for about 5 minutes after making a 20 min drive. Ihave had this very loud “horn” or “whale”sound go off inside the cab. Pretty sure it’s not an actuator for the ac. I’ve heard that and this is 10 times as loud lasting about 45 seconds or so. Scared the crap out of me the first time.

Sounds like it’s from under the dash on the passenger side. I couldn’t find anything in the search that sounded similar. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Unfortunately I don’t have an answer for you , I haven’t heard about anything like that .

jkm312

Reaction score
Might be one of the proximity sensors. I usually have to turn mine off going thru a drive thru. The other two descriptions you give makes me think one or more of the sensors has some dirt in it or they are set to be too sensitive.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Could be the blower motor. I've heard similar sounds on different types of customer's vehicle's but nothing with the rams.... yet

Jburm

Reaction score
Might be one of the proximity sensors. I usually have to turn mine off going thru a drive thru. The other two descriptions you give makes me think one or more of the sensors has some dirt in it or they are set to be too sensitive.
I don’t think it’s a proximity sensor warning it’s 5 times as loud as that going off and it’s a deeper tone… if that makes sense.

It has done it with the radio on mute as I wasn’t sure if it was some weird feedback or sound from being connected to my phone. Didn’t help.

Next thing I’ll do is turn the A/C off and check for blower motor. Unfortunately it’s random to about 1 time a week when it happens and short (30-45 sec or so)there’s not much time to diagnose it. But I don’t think it’s that either as I can run the a/c or heat in any setting with no repeatability.

Could it be the noise cancellation system?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you checked behind your glove box for anything thing that looks out of place? Maybe the previous owner installed something aftermarket, like an alarm with a horn inside the truck, that isn't functioning correctly

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Welcome. Can you post a vid of it?

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a proximity sensor warning it’s 5 times as loud as that going off and it’s a deeper tone… if that makes sense.

It has done it with the radio on mute as I wasn’t sure if it was some weird feedback or sound from being connected to my phone. Didn’t help.

Next thing I’ll do is turn the A/C off and check for blower motor. Unfortunately it’s random to about 1 time a week when it happens and short (30-45 sec or so)there’s not much time to diagnose it. But I don’t think it’s that either as I can run the a/c or heat in any setting with no repeatability.

Could it be the noise cancellation system?

Could very well be NC. I’ve had mine act up a couple times BUT when I held the radio power button to reboot the system it stopped every time. Not mute, but the power button - see if that works next time you have that issue. You’ll screen will go black & take about 20 seconds or so to fully reboot & load everything back to the same settings.

I’d compare my sound more to that of taking the power cord from an electric guitar amplifier & touching your finger to the metal tip of the cord - it creates that blaring loud buzzing sound. Not really a horn or whale sound as you described having on yours though.

upstech76

Reaction score
Does it sound something like this? I haven't had it fixed yet but believe its an issue with the AC system as was referenced in the thread below.

jsampsell

Reaction score
I believe this happened to my truck yesterday. I was on a work conference call when it started. I thought it was the call that was causing the sound but I ended the call and it was still there. Within a second or two it went away. Interesting. I’ve had the truck for 3.5 years and this is the first time this has happened. I hear the AC “whistle” fairly often after turning the truck off but this was something very different. It was very loud. I thought it was coming through the speakers but it did seem to be coming from the passenger side. I’ll be watching this thread to see if anything comes up.

Par38lamp

Reaction score
My truck exhibits a similar howl. 2020 Tradesman (5th gen) quad cab 5.7L non-hybrid; 510 gram sticker. Upon starting the truck, I get a very loud howl when the AC is on. If I turn off the AC (or it's off at startup), it stops. Doesn't happen in the winter (with AC on). It's not the blower. Distinctly from the passenger firewall/under hood. So loud it will turn heads.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I believe this happened to my truck yesterday. I was on a work conference call when it started. I thought it was the call that was causing the sound but I ended the call and it was still there. Within a second or two it went away. Interesting. I’ve had the truck for 3.5 years and this is the first time this has happened. I hear the AC “whistle” fairly often after turning the truck off but this was something very different. It was very loud. I thought it was coming through the speakers but it did seem to be coming from the passenger side. I’ll be watching this thread to see if anything comes up.
I too regularly experience the whistle and today after commuting 45min to a job-site was parked idling and for the first time experienced the whale/horn sound from the passenger side dash. I shut off the radio and it didn’t make a difference. Probably about 5-8seconds in duration. 65,xxx on the truck.

1677691596984.jpeg

DCRAM20

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here.
I purchased a 2020 Ram in June and it's been making this noise exactly as described in the thread.
Did anyone find the cause?

Thanks

dsmarz

Reaction score
My 2021 ram is doing same thing the dealership replaced the blower motor didn't fix it have a appointment Tuesday and will be showing them the video I have

Users who are viewing this thread