5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud blaring warning sound and red message in center of dash

HollyF

Reaction score
We bought a 2022 Dodge Ram 2500 Longhorn Limited Edition back on June 3, 2023. It has 39,000 miles on it. While driving it the other day, I experienced something very unsettling...in fact, it scared the you-know-what out of me. I had just made a right-hand turn and was accelerating....I did not tromp on it; I just accelerated normally...I was up to about 40 - 45 mph, and suddenly there was a very loud, blaring sound from inside the cab. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where inside the cab, as there are speakers all over. At the same time, a red message appeared in the center of the dash, but it was gone again in a nano-second and didn't come back on, so I have no idea what it said. Likewise the very loud, jarring alarm sound stopped after about 2 or 3 seconds. I didn't stop, as there was no place on the rural road to safely pull over. I just slowed way down and gradually accelerated again. Took a bit for my heart rate to return to normal! Completely baffled and more than a little worried about what it was.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Emergency brake assist. A sensor/camera thought you got too close to something.
Happens to me when someone is turning right in front of me and I get a little too close.
You’ll also note if you’re backing in and get to close to a snow bank, wall, car.. it’ll stop you as well.

On my sticker it’s called pedestrian emergency braking.
It works on way more than just pedestrians.. :)

You can turn it off through your radio/Uconnect, I just don’t recall exactly where. Most likely in the Safety settings.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
I have left the alert active, however I disabled the automatic braking. I've somehow managed to drive without hitting anyone or anything head on for the last 30 years without that feature in my vehicles, so I should be alright. if the brakes piled on every time that alert went off, Id be very unhappy. Electronic nannies can be very helpful, but some of them can be overly intrusive IMO.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Happens to me when someone is turning right in front of me and I get a little too close.
You’ll also note if you’re backing in and get to close to a snow bank, wall, car.. it’ll stop you as well.

You can turn it off through your radio/Uconnect, I just don’t recall exactly where. Most likely in the Safety settings.

Yep, this. It happens to me every time I cross the southbound Mississippi River bridge in New Orleans. For some reason there’s something about the upper support structure shape that triggers the “alarm” just as we’re going under it😆. Scared me the first several times. Now I know it’s coming 😂

HollyF

Reaction score

I don't remember it stopping or slowing me down, but it happened so fast...and my instinctive response se was to immediately take my foot off the gas pedal and slowly brake.....the thing is, there was nothing in front of me and no oncoming cars.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I don't remember it stopping or slowing me down, but it happened so fast...and my instinctive response se was to immediately take my foot off the gas pedal and slowly brake.....the thing is, there was nothing in front of me and no oncoming cars.
Whatever it sensed, you either didn’t get close enough…or slowed down enough.
Most of the time when I get a little close to someone turning right in front of me…it just flashes and doesn’t brake.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I have left the alert active, however I disabled the automatic braking. I've somehow managed to drive without hitting anyone or anything head on for the last 30 years without that feature in my vehicles, so I should be alright. if the brakes piled on every time that alert went off, Id be very unhappy. Electronic nannies can be very helpful, but some of them can be overly intrusive IMO.
Heard. Respect that.
I look at it another way.. with all the distracted drivers and clowns out there, extra set of eyes doesn’t hurt…
I believe there’s also a sensitivity setting as well for the brake should you choose to use it.
It works both out front and out back…FYI. Could be helpful with some dipwad driving WAY too fast as you’re backing out of a spot.

Users who are viewing this thread