5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of used 2019s for sale. Seems odd to me but I don't know the truck market.

RS4EVA

Reaction score
Locally, there are a number of used 1500 trucks with under 15k miles on them. Is this normal turnover in the full-size truck market or does it indicate underlying issues with the new model?

This will be my first truck purchase so I am just starting to do research. So far I love the 5th gen interior and features vs the Toyota/Ford/Chevy offerings. I'm interested in understanding the typical depreciation for trucks in general and Ram specifically.

I'm sure I will have many more questions, thanks for any advice.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve got nothing as around here there haven’t been any returns.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Locally, there are a number of used 1500 trucks with under 15k miles on them. Is this normal turnover in the full-size truck market or does it indicate underlying issues with the new model?

This will be my first truck purchase so I am just starting to do research. So far I love the 5th gen interior and features vs the Toyota/Ford/Chevy offerings. I'm interested in understanding the typical depreciation for trucks in general and Ram specifically.

I'm sure I will have many more questions, thanks for any advice.
Also be sure you’re not reviewing 2019 “classic” listings.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing, just using True Car for used vehicles in my area there are 46 2019 ram DT1500’s for sale vs 14 2019 Silverados. That’s a pretty large number for vehicles barely a year old already for sale.

Firebird

Reaction score
Also don’t forget that the new 2019 was released very early, so it’s had roughly a year and a half run already?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing, just using True Car for used vehicles in my area there are 46 2019 ram DT1500’s for sale vs 14 2019 Silverados. That’s a pretty large number for vehicles barely a year old already for sale.

The Ram has been out for a year and half now, the silverado about 6-8 months, I think a lot of them are probably people in over the head on payments that shouldn't have bought the truck in the first place.

Gs72174

Reaction score
I’m in the market myself for a new body style 2019 Big Horn with the black appearance package. Ive noticed just in the last week or so that a lot of these have started popping up on the used car finder websites like Car guru and also at CarMax.

I mean that’s good for me since I have more inventory to choose from but I was also curious as to why so many used vehicles that have less than 15,000 miles are up for sale.

Oh yeah. This is my first post but I’ve been on this forum reading up for a week and this forum is so informative. Glad I found it.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Try filtering for over 2000 miles. The number drops dramatically. These are just unsold 2019 models. The 2020s are arriving.

FCA is on a BIG push. First, the new Ram isn't the most attractive truck by a little. It is night and day, inside and out. The low-end Rams are nicer than the mid and most of the high-end competition. So it wins in the showroom. Then it has a 4-link rear instead of a live axle, and the air suspension. So it rides and handles better winning the test drive. And FCA is blowing them out on price.

Most of the issue (such as the towing mirrors) 90% of the customers won't realize, at least not until they take possession.

FCA has a chance to beat Ford in Q3 for the most overall pickup sales. And again in Q4. Discounts will be hot and heavy.

I'd like to see the diesel at the same price as the eTorque V8, similar to what GM did. However, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
You guys worry too much! It’s a high volume vehicle. Nothing sells like a new truck in America

Yeah some people have had less than desirable experiences to say the least which isn’t unusual but the majority appear content

My Toyota and Nissan were insanely expensive from new to 190k they never got better despite constant service.

If you want a sure thing worry free experience buy a Honda

Maconi

Reaction score
I've actually been looking forward to the used market tanking on the 2019 Ram 1500. Right now most people still want around $50k for a fully loaded used Ram, when you can buy a loaded one brand new around $50k after discounts (MSRP $70k). I'm waiting to snag one in the low $40k or $30k range. Not interested otherwise (especially with all the issues).

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are too many variables to consider and some have been mentioned already.

I've seen a few on the lots near my house but they have been "lower" models with halogen headlights.

With the "all-new" RAM 1500s (DT model) in 2019 the drivetrain stayed the same but lots of other stuff changed. I think it is for the better but I am a new RAM guy (coming from FORD trucks for the past 18 years) but many RAM people feel the new truck is heresy and were expecting the truck to be everything the 4th generation (DS model) trucks were and more...and they aren't. It is very difficult to add features that weren't ordered, the MPGs aren't on par with the DS trucks, the A/C is underwhelming, the styling was not well received, and some options weren't available until trucks built starting the fall of 2019. Just going by forum activity there seems to be a good number of issues people have had with trucks build prior to Septermber-ish 2019 as well.

I would take that all with a grain of salt, though. There are plenty on either side (happy or disgruntled) that have not posted anything about their trucks and I'm sure more have posted to complain than to promote. Everything here is just an opinion I've developed from the forums I've joined since buying my truck and some Google-ing.

I have a co-worker that trades his leased vehicle in about every 4-6 months (it's almost a hobby for him) so there could be any number of reasons why the trucks are sitting out there. If they are on a dealer lot, though, they're probably in decent shape otherwise they would probably be sent to auction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread