5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of chips on front bumper - what to do?

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Ive got tons of chips on my front bumper; kinda looks like a few rounds of bird shot were unloaded on her. Im sure living in the Denver metro area and heading to the mountains doesnt help. Anyway, Im going to ceramic coat my truck somewhere over the next 6 weeks and wated to get your thoughts on what to do with it. have it repainted, fill in each chip with touch up paint or leave it as is? Im not wanting to do either of those first 2 options myself; not sure of the cost.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Fill it in best you can, get it polished/rubbed out, then PPF put on it.
A quality tint/ppf shop should be able to fill it in, polish it out and cover it.
Ceramic coat will not prevent or help with chips…it’ll Only help keep it clean/easier to clean.

After seeing what 8 years and 140K Did to my 15 RAM, I had PPF put on the front of my truck and it’s already paying dividends as I too a nasty rock to the bumper, just a slight chip in the PPF as a result, zero to paint.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fill it in best you can, get it polished/rubbed out, then PPF put on it.
A quality tint/ppf shop should be able to fill it in, polish it out and cover it.
Ceramic coat will not prevent or help with chips…it’ll Only help keep it clean/easier to clean.

After seeing what 8 years and 140K Did to my 15 RAM, I had PPF put on the front of my truck and it’s already paying dividends as I too a nasty rock to the bumper, just a slight chip in the PPF as a result, zero to paint.
This is the route to go!!!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was too cheap to do the fancy paint treatments so I opted for a ceramic buffed wax when nearly new, then I get it redone every 6-9 months ($100). Still will chip some however its better than zippo.

For the OP, maybe find a body shop to respray your ft bumper (after prep) then after it cures go ahead with your coating.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1) repaint, let the paint cure out then have PPF applied then ceramic coat over

2) fill the chips, polish then ppf, then ceramic coat over

Ceramic coatings aren’t going to stop the chips… PPF will help that

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Ill see if theres a local shop that can fill or repaint the chipped areas. I'll definitely ppf after fixing.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
The only answer is to fill them or repaint the bumper
PPF will help to prevent in the future. Ceramic does absolutely nothing for protection. It only makes cleaning easier.

Users who are viewing this thread