5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost Key Fob

Grumpy37

Reaction score
Has anyone lost their key fob on a 2020 Ram 1500 and have it replaced by Ram for free? Dealer charged around $250 without key and $70 to program it. I bought a refurbished fob from a key shop and dealer said they could not program it to truck because it was programmed to another truck. Key shop showed me that it was not.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a thread on this topic but I do not recall the title. 2019 owner's manual states in it that a FOB can not be reprogrammed.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a Mopar Extended Warranty, it includes three free fob replacements during the warranty period.

“KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if this component is lost or stolen, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components.
NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB.”

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone lost their key fob on a 2020 Ram 1500 and have it replaced by Ram for free? Dealer charged around $250 without key and $70 to program it. I bought a refurbished fob from a key shop and dealer said they could not program it to truck because it was programmed to another truck. Key shop showed me that it was not.
lol, why would you expect ram to replace your key for free because you lost yours? unless you have free key replacement coverage, your SOL.

Grumpy37

Reaction score
If you have a Mopar Extended Warranty, it includes three free fob replacements during the warranty period.

“KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if this component is lost or stolen, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components.
NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB.”
Thanks for the info.

fudpucker

Reaction score
The wife ran hers through the washing machine. The local locksmith ordered a new one for me (10 days), reprogrammed it on site and charged me $250. Fair deal I think.

MatthewRamirez

Reaction score
I got a duplicate fob from locksmith boston near me and they'd charged $239 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread