5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loose front suspension/tire wear

Airstreamin

Reaction score
since there were a 1000 posts under the heading of front suspension, I thought I just post this rather than spend hours searching.

The dealer aligned my front tires at a bit less than 12,000 miles because of slight tire wear issue. At 30,000 miles, I noticed significant outer front tire wear on both front tire. Reading up on the subject told me that this is unusual and usually attributed to fast cornering.... sure, I’m going to race my truck on a track.....
The situation seemed to get worse after towing the Airstream over 700 miles one outing. The truck drove fine. The steering wheel was slightly off center but everything tracked well, even while towing. I brought it back to the dealer for another alignment. The tires were worn so bad they didn’t want to do the alignment, but they inspected and found “they had to tighten everything up”.

Of course, this isn’t written on the dealer work order. That seems to have fixed the wear issue. A couple of hundred towing miles later showed no unusual wear on the front tires (which were on the rear before the “tightening”).

The tires are shot. I’ll be lucky to get a few more thousand miles out of them because of the outer edge wear. I’ll be out about $1000 soon for new tires soon. They might have gone 50,000 miles or more.

Has anyone else had this problem? The truck has been down a few Forest Service roads in northern AZ, but At slow speeds. I’d hate to think what this would happen with any significant off roading.

the truck is a 2019 Big Horn 4x4, short box, crew cab built in June of 2018.
Steve

E.Hands

Reaction score
I had the exact same experience.
2 wheel drive, never off road, never towed anything. 28,000 highway miles in the first year. Front tires bald on the outer inch of the tread. The rest of the tread surface looks fine.
Dealership adjusted the toe, which was excessively toed in.
I had to pay for the alignment and will have to pay for two new tires as well...

Last edited:

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Make it a habit to ask for your alignment sheet, you want to see a before and after in it. Also keep an eye on your tire wear in all 4 tires (5 if you have a matching spare and do 5 tire rotations), don't wait 15k miles to look and spot an issue.

A fast wearing outer edge is easy to spot early if you look at your tires at least every 1k miles and no, rotating your tires won't fix it. You're going to mess up all 4 tires if you dont address that in your alignment as soon as possible.

I inspect my tires literally every week, sometines daily if I'm offroading . I also measure deep thread every 3k before rotating them. Don't assume the alignment shop will always align your vehicle properly. Some techs can be very lazy and do a chitty job. Ask for your alignment sheet and post it. I'm sure more than one person here can read the sheet and let you know you if you need to go back to the place and ask to correct a lazy job. Your tires will thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/