5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loose Exterior Trim

Helmetface

Reaction score
Alternate Title:

"NeW RAm 1200 mILEs - broken and SeLLiNG"

In all seriousness, I just realized that this piece is loose. Looks to be a sort of press fit.

Y'all experience this? I have the pano roof and 275/18's.

geotex1

Reaction score
Clearly, the retainer has been pulled free if not broken. Certain carwashes peel them up and break the retainer. It's a dirt cheap part that takes just a few minutes to R&R, but I'm sure warranty will cover it if you play dumb about carwashes.

Helmetface

Reaction score
Clearly, the retainer has been pulled free if not broken. Certain carwashes peel them up and break the retainer. It's a dirt cheap part that takes just a few minutes to R&R, but I'm sure warranty will cover it if you play dumb about carwashes.

I'll try to source the retainer clip myself, rather than the hassle of a dealer visit. Time = money.

Just to prove my manliness, I don't do auto car washes in my personal vehicles. I'm all set with swirls!

geotex1

Reaction score
I'll try to source the retainer clip myself, rather than the hassle of a dealer visit. Time = money.

Just to prove my manliness, I don't do auto car washes in my personal vehicles. I'm all set with swirls!

I don't have a P/N for the clip, but if you have a crew cab I have the P/N for the full trim piece. I had to replace both sides as part of repairing massive hail damage. You will laugh and feel manly not even being two sips into a cold one for the time it takes to pull the old piece and pop on the new!

Sts

Reaction score
Are these exterior trims, drip trims, or seal trims pretty easy to remove? I’ve been looking for procedures on how to remove them, worried about breaking/ bending it out of form.

Could you provide suggestions on how to properly remove them? Thank you in advance.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried that much Haha
Yes, I realized after I posted the suggestion that it was pretty lame, sorry just trying to be helpful. I guess your clip is missing, fortunately my clip was still there but the strip was not engaging.

geotex1

Reaction score
Are these exterior trims, drip trims, or seal trims pretty easy to remove? I’ve been looking for procedures on how to remove them, worried about breaking/ bending it out of form.

Could you provide suggestions on how to properly remove them? Thank you in advance.

They are very easily kinked. You will need a nylon panel removal tool to help you leverage them up and free them from the clip. The clips are designed to be one way, so you may or may not be successful with reuse. Start at the windshield and progress toward the rear. You'll see every post the piece is clipped to as you go. A long handle forked panel tool will help you get around either side of the post and increase your chances of removing such that you can reuse.

Reactions: Sts

Firebird

Reaction score
That happened on my 2015, warranty replaced it

Sts

Reaction score
They are very easily kinked. You will need a nylon panel removal tool to help you leverage them up and free them from the clip. The clips are designed to be one way, so you may or may not be successful with reuse. Start at the windshield and progress toward the rear. You'll see every post the piece is clipped to as you go. A long handle forked panel tool will help you get around either side of the post and increase your chances of removing such that you can reuse.

Thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky826

Reaction score
Same thing on mine. Dealer is replacing it today along with some other trim pieces that were loose.

Users who are viewing this thread