5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to upgrade

Ford52Pu

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into a 2021 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock Quad Cab 4x4. I found it locally at a dealer it has the Tow package which I was looking for but it has the 3.6 V6 and the 3.21 rear. I currently towing with a 2013 Nissan Frontier with the 4.0 V6. I'm towing a Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS, I use a WDH and it tows fine. I'm retiring the end of the year and want to purchase what will most likely be my final new vehicle. My wife and I have thought about getting a 5th wheel 1/2 ton towable trailer in the future so the 3.6 has me concerned. I think I would be better off with the V8, right now inventories of V8/Tow package less than $50K trucks seem to minimal. My real question is what do you all think of the 3.6 compared to the V8? Even while writing this I think its a dumb questions as I know everyone wants a Hemi!

Picture shows the reason for my screen name. But I cant figure out how to rotate the picture:(

Thanks
Dennis
Coatesville PA

Attachments

• IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 14

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 3.6 v6 with the 3.21 rear has a tow rating under 5000 (4800 I think?) pounds. With the 3.55 rear it is rated to tow over 7000 (7400 i think?). Quite a difference.

Prior to my current truck I had a 2015 Laramie 4x2 quad cab with the 3.55 rear. Towed my camper (6400-6700 lbs depending on the trip) about 13000 miles with that truck. It did the job. Getting up to highway speed was slow, foot to the floor and exercise patience. Other than that it was a capable tow rig. Good payload number (1675) and better fuel economy than the v8 (even when towing).

Previous truck to that had the 3.6 with the 3.21 rear but I never towed with it. Your camper, loaded up to camp, may exceed the tow rating of the truck you are looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread