5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to replace muffler and delete resonators - any advice?

mac1983620

Reaction score
Looking for more sound. Not super loud. Just something that sounds like a healthy V8. Wanting to swap the muffler with possibly a 14 inch Magnaflow, and delete resonators. All welded. Any suggestions? Will this affect my back pressure, or any sensors?

I can't justify spending a ridiculous amount of money on parts and labor for a cat back kit that gives minimal gains.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Look at the B2 Fabrication thread. Cheap, easy and does not disappoint. You want to replace the muffler and keep the resonators.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
I bought a borla mufler forgot the part # but it's ok I'm liking it it's kind of super mellow but when you step on it u can hear it's super low tone. But it seems to have flow a lot better will put up some pics. It's super long.

Took resonator off no drone what so ever and it sounds the same with mds on

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
Exit
11c9cfddb7b971d7caaa3efe067ce2de.jpg
525c3b1b317ac28a3c794f446f3ce44c.jpg

j517

Reaction score
Mufler no res straight out the corner
It's the borla 400615 I think xr1 the racing exhaust it's starting to sound better it surprised me this morning it was super throaty it quieted down hopefully it gets a little louder with time no drone what's so ever
1ba7e3dbc97129173a5850dccf6c6482.jpg
5a79246b87aeb5dca545b50c75acdb07.jpg
d14e8edba7ec59d6e4d0b623e09857a7.jpg

Firebird

Reaction score
I just ordered the bolt in Magnaflow from Mufflex.

hopVIP

Reaction score
I just mentioned this in another thread and Carven is my choice. It's a smaller muffler design that emphasizes your engines natural throatiness. You can remove the resonators if you want it to be a bit loader but as a start I think just replacing the muffler with a Carven will make you very happy. Other brands I've tried and listened to change the sound and even make them sound bad. But I love what Carven does and the rumble and powerful sound it releases from the 5.7 Hemi. I've also heard Carvens on other vehicles and again it just emphasizes the original sound with no restrictions and just makes it more of what it already is. If that makes any sense. Instead of turning the sound into something different.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I found it was over $100 cheaper to have local muffler shop install a Magnaflow than it was to order the B2 fabrication muffler. Plus it is welded in by a professional instead of clamped in.

hopVIP

Reaction score
Also some of you may have done this or thought about it but straight pipes on these trucks actually probably sound the best. Maybe a little raspy and definitely very loud but it's true unleashed Hemi sound. I think something like a Carven or B2 to tame the beast just a little is just about perfect.

mrchoung

Reaction score
just got the Magnaflow 14" muffler done by my local shop. It's got a nice deeper, smooth growl. A little bit quieter than I imagined, but it sounds nice and 100x better than the stock muffler! It's a bit louder than stock with a completely better, deeper, tone. Kept the resonator but welded the weepholes shut like a few of the members here. It's nice! I think it's $200 well spent. I wouldn't have minded going like 15 db louder but the tone is what I was after. For the price, it's a no brainer.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I prefer the Flowmaster Outlaw, custom installed. Sounds like a Hemi should, but doesn't drone on the highway, assuming you turn off MDS. Total installed was $275.

I don't recommend removing any of the 3 resonators, they are definitely needed regardless if you go straight pipe or aftermarket muffler.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I put a Borla on mine sounds great when you're getting on it and mellows out at cruising speeds. No drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huck

Reaction score
I just straight piped mine and kept the resonators it sounds awesome and it's quiet at cruising speeds.

Captain Stack

Reaction score
I just installed the B2 Fabrications MagnaFlow muffler and it gives me a great medium sound (perfect for my age of 50). Gas mileage is noticeably better as well, about .3 Mpg better.

Users who are viewing this thread