5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to purchase a Ram, concern about future value

sicpuppy

Reaction score
I paid $44,500 for my 2 wheel drive longhorn Dec. 26 2019 tried to trade on Dodge Challenger$53,900). I also went to two Chevrolet dealers to trade for Camaro SS. No one would offer more than $28,000 on trade in. I have 17,000 miles on my truck and it looks like brand new.

I wouldn't plan on a good trade in price.

Hyfire

Reaction score
I considered the future price of gas and depreciation. Gas has to go up right? The oil industry will just push margins up to replace volume.

When push comes to shove it didn’t sway me. My wife was in a 4x4 Tundra crew-cab with 3 small kids when she was flipped by a speeding Tahoe. They all walked away.

In December a teenager blew a stop sign and totaled my Chrysler 300, deploying three airbags. I was lucky she was in a little car.

Im going to keep buying the biggest, heaviest thing I can afford. The more small cars around me the better.

Ultimately, I decided depreciation is cheaper than a lifetime of spinal surgeries.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buy a truck that you want and can afford. Every vehicle nowadays has terrible resale value statistically unless it’s like a Wrangler, Tacoma, or Tundra. I don’t get why people care so much about resale value? Like you’re just buying a vehicle and are already worried about how much you’ll get back for it in 5-8 years. Markets are always changing, pvt party vs trade etc.

For example we got a 2018 Hyundai Sonata bought for $22k and now got 23k miles on it, worth about $10k according to Carfax and KBB. A 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Special Edition V8 4x4 Crew Cab bought for about $60k, with 23k miles now worth about $37k on those sites, our 2015 C 300 4Matic Sedan with 76k miles bought for $50k new, worth about $12k now. My 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie I bought new for $39k ($49k msrp) was sold for like $32k with less than 15k miles on it.

My point is, resale values across the board suck. Don’t buy something and constantly worry about those numbers, because in the end, you’ll usually get something less than what you think it’s worth regardless. You can always lease too. However, that doesn’t mean don’t plan, make sure you have finances lined up for the future when making a decision to sell a vehicle.

As far as EV’s, yes they are coming. In the US though, don’t hold your breath. It’s gonna be a while, like 15-50 years till EV’s are really in the market (Over 50% of new sales). Probably about 50-100 years till combustion vehicles are gone for the most part. A lot of EV’s have really bad resale value too, turns out batteries need quite a bit of maintenance 10 years down the road.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Until you can charge an EV as quickly as you can fill up a tank of gas and in as many places they will never become mainstream. The range is pretty much there with ~300 miles per charge. Pending some sort of tech breakthrough its gonna be 50+ years before ICE is fully gone.

nburd

Reaction score
Just keep this in your mind, the Hummer EV truck has a 200 KWh battery. At current "electrify america" fast charge rates of (50-100KW per hour) about $0.50-.75 per KWh in order charge it, it will cost you $100-$150 to fill her up and drive a whopping 300 miles summer and 200 miles Winter. Also, if you decide to charge it at home, to save some money, it's only 30 hours. BTW electricity is "going to get cheaper" with solar, Wind and all the required grid upgrades.......LOL!

BTW wait until you tow something, that's even funnier. I like to ask this question, would you buy a car that gets 100 MPG if it takes 1 hour or more to fill up with gas every 250 miles......

Last edited:

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
EV technology is constantly evolving. We already can quickly charge up to eighty percent of the battery capacity in half an hour.
At a Level 3 charging station, which cost around $50K per port. Seven Level 2 chargers could be installed for the cost of one Level 3, but they take about 8 hours to charge. There are about 6 times as many Level 2 charging stations as Level 3 in the USA, meaning you’re far more likely to find an 8-hour charger than a 30-minute charger.

Yes, more stations will be built, but this isn’t a 5-7 year thing; it’s a multi-decade thing (if EVs ever do become the norm; I’m skeptical for reasons I’ve gotten into before so I won’t repeat here).

I think you don’t need to worry about resale value of a truck bought today. Maybe if you buy the last fossil fuel truck made 30-40 years from now, you’ll take a hit, but I wouldn’t worry today.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
Supply and Demand. We know they will remove the supply side of the equation at some point. Who knows what will happen with the demand side - but i can imagine people will hang on to them like Cubans.... they wont go away in our lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/