5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to install front tow hooks, what are the options?

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
I am thinking about installing front row hooks. What do you guys recommend? There is OEM and aftermarket. There are lots of options on Amazon but I don’t want to have to worry about them rusting. Thoughts?

What did route did you guys go when installing front tow hooks?

Thanks in advance.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered these a bit over a year ago. They went on just like the OEM hooks, the bumper inserts fit well, and I still have no rust on them. Link → tow hook link
They were $98, and if I remember correctly the OEM set was going to cost somewhere around $300 after buying the hooks and inserts. For that much more, I'll repaint them if I have too, but so far that hasn't been necessary.
If you're really concerned, a small can of black (red or whatever color you want) Rustoleom will cost about $20. Buy the aftermarket hooks, paint them, then install them. You'll save $200.

tom318

Reaction score
I order the same ones in May, so far mine still look new and I've had no issue. The plastic surrounds they come with are definitely "cheap" but they do the job. Getting them on was somewhat of a pain but that was due to lack of knowledge. The large bolts used to hold them in place have a clip on the end of the threads which you cant get to and you need to basically man handle or hammer the bolt out. Not sure if that's the case for everyone but it was for me.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I order the same ones in May, so far mine still look new and I've had no issue. The plastic surrounds they come with are definitely "cheap" but they do the job. Getting them on was somewhat of a pain but that was due to lack of knowledge. The large bolts used to hold them in place have a clip on the end of the threads which you cant get to and you need to basically man handle or hammer the bolt out. Not sure if that's the case for everyone but it was for me.
Yes there are installation videos that show how to go about it. At the end of the day though, it's pretty much a matter of forcing the retaining ring off the bolt.

OP, in regards to this, it has nothing to do with which hooks you buy. The bolt we're talking about is the factory bolt that is already on the truck. The difficulty is removing that factory bolt (which is reinstalled).

I went oem... no issues with them!
Well I should hope not for $300 and a factory part.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I went with the MOPAR parts from Accessory Parts here in the forum. $228 shipped. I have had such bad experiences with metal aftermarket stuff rusting on my Wrangler that it was worth it to me to pay the extra and get the MOPAR set. Besides, it supports a forum member.

Thanks again.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes there are installation videos that show how to go about it. At the end of the day though, it's pretty much a matter of forcing the retaining ring off the bolt.

OP, in regards to this, it has nothing to do with which hooks you buy. The bolt we're talking about is the factory bolt that is already on the truck. The difficulty is removing that factory bolt (which is reinstalled).

Well I should hope not for $300 and a factory part.
Didn't pay $300 but that's the point it's a factory part that won't rust!

mkling

Reaction score
My old 2500 had a prong in the middle that you could loop a tow strap over and I found it really handy at times. Anyone seen something like this for the fifth gen 1500?
I used my hooks quite a bit on my old truck so I need to get some on the new ride since it didn’t come with any.

Attachments

• 69AEDDEF-CD49-4E4F-95D6-88CA37D0FCDB.jpeg
    69AEDDEF-CD49-4E4F-95D6-88CA37D0FCDB.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 13

mkling

Reaction score
Pretty sure I still have my oem front tow points sitting in the garage. I reused the bolts but the loops are available if anyone wants them? Say $100 shipped?
I might be interested. Have bezels by chance also?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I went with the MOPAR parts from Accessory Parts here in the forum. $228 shipped. I have had such bad experiences with metal aftermarket stuff rusting on my Wrangler that it was worth it to me to pay the extra and get the MOPAR set. Besides, it supports a forum member.

Thanks again.
Both are good reasons to go with the OEM hooks. I've paid more for items, because they come with some amount of peace of mind. Certainly nothing wrong with that logic.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with buying the OEM hooks, but the topic of the thread was looking for a cheaper/aftermarket alternative. Clearly the savings from the options given weren't substantial enough to justify the "risk" and that's a decision we all have to make for our own trucks. I'm glad you were able to make an informed decision on your purchase rather than simply buying the only option that may have been known before that.
I was on a Jeep forum where the guys would get all offended if you didn't buy the part they recommended (and typically also used). I never understood that logic. What's good for one person is not good for everyone.

.... that's the point it's a factory part that won't rust!
Well not to be "that guy" but they can/will rust. As long as they're metal, there is iron in them. Regardless of the manufacturer, iron will react with oxygen and rust (iron oxide) will form.
That said, I get your point. The OEM parts tend to be coated better than some aftermarket stuff and are therefore less like to rust right away. Likewise, not all metals are the same and depending on what type of material was used to make the hook one may rust faster than another.
So yes, the spirit of what you're saying is accurate, and noted. One thing is for sure though, they absolutely WILL rust if the bare material is exposed to the elements.
The easiest way to expose the metal beneath the paint is by actually using the hooks and scratching them. Which is why I use nylon tow straps instead of chains, and I basket loop it rather than using metal hooks on my tow hooks/frame/etc.

My old 2500 had a prong in the middle that you could loop a tow strap over and I found it really handy at times. Anyone seen something like this for the fifth gen 1500?
I used my hooks quite a bit on my old truck so I need to get some on the new ride since it didn’t come with any.
Yes, those are awesome hooks. They make it very easy to attach a nylon tow strap too. The 3rd and 4th gen Rams had open "C" shape hooks which made it easy to hook to, but those weren't as secure as the current closed loop style. Those 2500 hooks give you the best of both world. A quick easy pin to hook on, but a closed loop if you want extra security. Excellent design on those and I haven't seen anything like it adapted for the 1500. Maybe I should design and produce some. Probably ought to check patents first though I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread