5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to get back into a Ram

afphinfan

Reaction score
A few months ago I traded my 2015 Ram Longhorn EcoDiesel in for a 2020 Ford Ranger. I had told myself that I’m an old fart that didn’t need a big truck anymore, etc. But I was wrong! I had resigned myself into keeping it for a few years until a friend told me that Carvana is paying a bunch for certain vehicles. Well having gotten a steal on a leftover 2020 and only having a few miles on it I may have actually lucked out. They offered to buy it from me for just a few hundred less than I bought it.
Unfortunately I decided that I need to find a unicorn: a 5th gen crew cab with 3.6l v6 Laramie with Rambox .. all without breaking the bank. I’ve narrowed it down to two I really like: a Red 2020 with high miles and a Black Forest Green 2019. Now to determine which is the best deal given the options.
Either way I will have as good of mileage as I had with the Ranger with more space and the Ramboxes that I miss.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
A few months ago I traded my 2015 Ram Longhorn EcoDiesel in for a 2020 Ford Ranger. I had told myself that I’m an old fart that didn’t need a big truck anymore, etc. But I was wrong! I had resigned myself into keeping it for a few years until a friend told me that Carvana is paying a bunch for certain vehicles. Well having gotten a steal on a leftover 2020 and only having a few miles on it I may have actually lucked out. They offered to buy it from me for just a few hundred less than I bought it.
Unfortunately I decided that I need to find a unicorn: a 5th gen crew cab with 3.6l v6 Laramie with Rambox .. all without breaking the bank. I’ve narrowed it down to two I really like: a Red 2020 with high miles and a Black Forest Green 2019. Now to determine which is the best deal given the options.
Either way I will have as good of mileage as I had with the Ranger with more space and the Ramboxes that I miss.
Welcome!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That dark green looks good on a Ram, and a little less common. Either way, welcome back!

afphinfan

Reaction score
That dark green looks good on a Ram, and a little less common. Either way, welcome back!
Thanks, in the right light it looks amazing ... the only issue I have with it is whether it will look as bad as my current black truck does when it's dirty.
I've tried comparing these trucks apples to apples by determining the cost to make the options the same:
2020 Red truck: upgrade to 12" screen. Probably expensive but doable. This truck is a 2020 but does have higher miles (not a worry to me but devalues a bit)
2019 Green truck: add to Trailer control, swap bench seat for console and swap 26 gallon tank for 33. Probably more of a PIA but I am a DIY person and none of those would have to be done asap. This truck is $2500 cheaper and less miles.
I am determined to get a 3.6l v6 Laramie with Rambox at a reasonable price point. I'm hoping to find off lease ones that fit the bill.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Hope you find just what you are after. Will offer one piece of free advice, since you are looking at used: Check the rear window for cracks in the frame, or signs of water leakage. Some guys have had leaks, others have not. It seems like if it needs replaced it may still leak, one of the reasons I haven't had mine replaced yet.

afphinfan

Reaction score
Hope you find just what you are after. Will offer one piece of free advice, since you are looking at used: Check the rear window for cracks in the frame, or signs of water leakage. Some guys have had leaks, others have not. It seems like if it needs replaced it may still leak, one of the reasons I haven't had mine replaced yet.
My old F-150 had a leaking window that I fixed via the university of YouTube but I will scope it out.

Another thing I need to check: I presumed the small tank in the Green is 26 (the ad or window sticker doesnt say) ... but I've read that the standard tank in 23 ... that would be tragic! j/k

HemiDude

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that the v6 comes standard with the 23

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought 5.7 w/ eTorque was the only combo that got the 23 gallon tank standard

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought 5.7 w/ eTorque was the only combo that got the 23 gallon tank standard
On the (notoriously unreliable) build and price site, you can now equip the lower models with any engine (including diesel) and still have the 23-gallon as standard. The 26 is a $0 upgrade. 26 is standard on a Longhorn or Limited (with or without eTorque). It does feel like this is a moving target.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the (notoriously unreliable) build and price site, you can now equip the lower models with any engine (including diesel) and still have the 23-gallon as standard. The 26 is a $0 upgrade. 26 is standard on a Longhorn or Limited (with or without eTorque). It does feel like this is a moving target.

Website also forces eTorque to get the 33 gallon tank which we know isn’t true

31F04A92-7BC9-407B-BB6C-FEDCFC91D486.png

Last edited:

afphinfan

Reaction score
As my questions were specifically for the v6 Crewcab, I truly thought it would be a one or another situation. The whole thing has led me to seriously lean towards the one with the 33 gallon.

Users who are viewing this thread