5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for the best of both worlds.

TxHouse

Reaction score
I’m just in the planning stages of getting new tires. Maybe 10k left on the stock Falken tires.

I have a 2019 Longhorn 4x4 ORG with the 3.21 rear axle. I’m thinking of bumping up in size to the 275/65/20 in either the new RT Trail tire or the Recon Grapplers. Both tires would be in an SL load range. Both tires show to only be between 3-4 pounds heavier per tire than factory.

My questions are would I be hunting for gears all day on the highway and being this light of a tire, would I see the same hit in mpg as I would with a load range E tire?

Gren71

Reaction score
What size and tire do you have now?

Im my experience the slight change in tire weight wont make a HUGE difference. The tread type and tread width combined with your driving style will make a larger impact on gear hunting and mpg.

From personal experience I find the function over form approach ends up best with tires. IE I have Michelin LTX MS2 tires on and they are not particularly exciting looking...but they provide the most bang for my buck with tire weight / weather capability / towing / beach driving / tread life / ect. So keep the purpose of your tires in mind when making that choice.

TxHouse

Reaction score
I currently have the stock size 275/55/20 Falken at3wa tires. I’m looking at the AT tires because I do like to explore off the beaten path. Nothing too extreme, fire roads and usually level 1 trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

• modo