5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for some advice

Mule

Reaction score
Hello

First post, so I hope this is the right spot. I bought a brand new 2019 Big Horn Classic 5.7L on January 13. It had 7 miles on it. Two days into driving it I noticed when I was accelerating it was not right. Felt hesitant or like the throttle was being held back, or as if I was towing. I took it to the dealer and told the sales rep I worked with and said I wanted to have it in to service and checked out. She said they would, 6 hours later I get a call it’s ready. She tells me she had another salesman drive it around the lot and it drove fine, nothing to worry about, that’s how’s Rams drive because of the power she says. This pissed me off because that wouldn’t replicate the issue anyway and it’s not what I asked for. But I took her at her word.

Well it’s been driving the same ever since, and today I wake up and have an alert from uconnect saying it needs service for electronic throttle control. I look that up and to my horror see it’s exactly what I felt two days in, and wrote her a stern but polite email saying I would be there at 9 and it needs to be serviced and explaining my frustration that at 15 days of ownership of a 50k dollar truck, and this being my 4th time to bring it up for service, twice for this issue now and twice to fix scratches I found but the guy didn’t get around to it the first time, plus some other smaller issues they’ve had to fix where they screwed up, that this whole thing is a joke. Anyhow, they have it now and they gave me a used ram to drive after I told them I wasn’t taking a Pacifica. I bought a brand new ram, so I was leaving there in a ram to drive off the used lot. I also told them I wanted the front windows tinted and the windshield brow done on their dime for all of my inconvenience and their mishandling of this issue to begin with, and for it to be done before they called me to come get it. I figured that was the least they could do.

My biggest concern now is when I got home I started reading all these horror stories on the forums when I searched this warning indicator. I’ve never bought a brand new vehicle before and I’m afraid this is going to turn into a nightmare ongoing issue now and I’ve only had the truck 15 days. Just looking for any help and/or advice on this situation anyone can give me. Thank you in advance

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get it back and drive it; don't worry about it. Its brand new; there might some bugs to work out. One word of advice though; its best not to be an a$$hole with your service department if you want them to try to please you.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
24,000 miles, never been in for warranty work. Stuff happens, that’s what warranty is for, without a code thrown, it’s difficult for techs to diagnose. Now that your truck has thrown a code, they will fix it, and try not to worry too much about it. And, I totally agree with the post above this one.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello

First post, so I hope this is the right spot. I bought a brand new 2019 Big Horn Classic 5.7L on January 13. It had 7 miles on it. Two days into driving it I noticed when I was accelerating it was not right. Felt hesitant or like the throttle was being held back, or as if I was towing. I took it to the dealer and told the sales rep I worked with and said I wanted to have it in to service and checked out. She said they would, 6 hours later I get a call it’s ready. She tells me she had another salesman drive it around the lot and it drove fine, nothing to worry about, that’s how’s Rams drive because of the power she says. This pissed me off because that wouldn’t replicate the issue anyway and it’s not what I asked for. But I took her at her word.

Well it’s been driving the same ever since, and today I wake up and have an alert from uconnect saying it needs service for electronic throttle control. I look that up and to my horror see it’s exactly what I felt two days in, and wrote her a stern but polite email saying I would be there at 9 and it needs to be serviced and explaining my frustration that at 15 days of ownership of a 50k dollar truck, and this being my 4th time to bring it up for service, twice for this issue now and twice to fix scratches I found but the guy didn’t get around to it the first time, plus some other smaller issues they’ve had to fix where they screwed up, that this whole thing is a joke. Anyhow, they have it now and they gave me a used ram to drive after I told them I wasn’t taking a Pacifica. I bought a brand new ram, so I was leaving there in a ram to drive off the used lot. I also told them I wanted the front windows tinted and the windshield brow done on their dime for all of my inconvenience and their mishandling of this issue to begin with, and for it to be done before they called me to come get it. I figured that was the least they could do.

My biggest concern now is when I got home I started reading all these horror stories on the forums when I searched this warning indicator. I’ve never bought a brand new vehicle before and I’m afraid this is going to turn into a nightmare ongoing issue now and I’ve only had the truck 15 days. Just looking for any help and/or advice on this situation anyone can give me. Thank you in advance

Odds are, it will get resolved. Be determined, but patient, and keep all the paperwork. I wouldn't spend any money mod'ing it yet, until you're happy. But the issue your truck is having, is fixable, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it when it is.

IMHO, there isn't an FCA product that has best-in-class reliability, (Chrysler, Dodge, RAM, Jeep, Fiat, etc never did :( ) but they can be good vehicles nonetheless.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good advice on Mods. I waited 1 year before I did anything to my truck.

R

Rob5589

Sometimes it is like the joke, the car stops doing whatever it was doing as soon as you get to the shop. It can be difficult to duplicate an issue at times. And unless there is a code to pull, not much they can do unless it is a known problem they are seeing. Give them a chance to correct it. Good luck.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did a salesperson drive the truck around or a service technician? Once you've bought it you're done with the sales staff...it's all service department from there on out. If you're having driveability issues they are going to have to drive and to try and re-produce the issue so they know what to fix. There's no way around that. Most of the time they are trying to put it into words so they can match it up to an issue so they can apply whatever fix FCA has recommended/approved.

These are things that the warranty is for. There's a reason you get 36,000 miles and up to 3 years for Chrysler to fix it for free and give you a vehicle to drive in the meantime. You may call it a loaner since it doesn't cost you anything and it's from their lot but the dealership charges Chrysler for the "rental" they put you in. Some dealerships will upgrade you (possibly entice you to get a nicer vehicle), some will use their used lot to accommodate warranty customers, and some keep a fleet of new vehicles to cycle through. All 4 times my truck has been in I've gotten a RAM 1500 Classic Express and have learned to appreciate my Big Horn a lot more each time.

Did they tint your windows for you? They are under no obligation to do that other than to try and appease you to keep you as a customer (warranty work is a booming business).

I'll re-iterate what Billy James said: you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I don't know how many people you interfaced with at that dealership but you either need to cycle through their service advisors until you find one you like or try a different dealership. The dealership next to me is absolutely terrible and my skin crawls every time I step on their property even if it's to buy parts. They are only 2 miles from me and I drive 20 miles to a dealership that is more "understanding". I have also found a service advisor that I have a good rapport with so I request him every time I take my truck in. It may not always be the result I wanted but I know he's done his due diligence to make sure everything gets addressed.

Last edited:

d19r93

Reaction score
I don't think I would have been so demanding until you were on your third trip. As others have mentioned, things get missed easily when there is no check-engine light to read. I'm sorry you're having trouble, but I think it's a little much to demand they tint your windows after one return trip. Hard to say from behind a keyboard though, as we are not there. Sounds kinda like my dealership here in Mid-Missouri.

bucolic

Reaction score
Look, vehicles today are pretty complex. It's not like a 74 Dodge slant 6 and a single barrel carb. As others have stated here, until a code is thrown it can be next to impossible to diagnose unless the condition is easily recreated.

I had a 2016 Big Horn I traded in on my current Ram. 70 miles in I get a CEL. Made an appointment and driving it to the dealer CEL goes out. Of course it will :) They pull the codes and follow the procedure and have me pick it up. Driving the 3 miles home from the dealer CEL comes on again. Long story short this goes on for 500 miles and finally, they narrow in on a component in the fuel system, replace it and I drove that truck for 86,000 miles with no issues after that.

They will get it figured out. It can be a PITA until they do but again, these vehicles are complicated and loaded with electronics. If they never had issues there would be no reason to worry about a warranty. Good luck but I bet they get it ironed out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread