5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for opinions

Spacebear2001

Reaction score
So looking at buying a 2020 Limited. Sadly I can’t find exactly what I want, so trying to figure out which optio I should go with. I would prefer the diesel but would probably be cool with the Hemi. But worried on gas mileage, which is more why I’m looking at the ED. I do probably 65/35 highway to city. I, not hauling now but planning to buy an RV in the future. I also think Rambox would be nice too. but while I can find those opt I can’t find it in the color I want.

Right now looking between these three. Wondering what others would do...

Option A has an Ecodiesel, Ram box, but is not my fav color (Blue). I found one in my third fav color (Red) and Silver which is also decent.

Option B is my fav color, but lacks the ram box.

Option C has my fav color and rambox but has a Hemi.

so just curious if faced with these decision, what would you choose.

Luxy72462

Reaction score
Go option C. The ED is nice but the payback on the $5k upcharge won’t pay back for 6 years over owning the hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RainDesert

Reaction score
If you want the ED and mpgs are a concern for you I recommend getting the motor you want. If you can live with 15 to 18 mpg averages the hemi is proven and reliable, plus a lot of fun to drive.

Spacebear2001

Reaction score
Go option C. The ED is nice but the payback on the $5k upcharge won’t pay back for 6 years over owning the hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$3000 difference...Hemi has an up charge too

it seems like the ED cost can be made up faster if the Hemi is using 89 octane as recommended vs 87 (Which I know some use). Still trying to figure out of 87 is good enough or not.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go for C, it’s the color you like, has the Ram boxes and with the price of gas it’ll take the sting out of the lower MPG and you get the fun of the HEMI.

zelmo

Reaction score
You said that you are concerned about gas mileage but you don’t say how many miles you drive or how long you will keep the truck. I don’t see gasoline prices rising much any time soon. It is actually likely that they will drop even more. From a strictly economic standpoint it is hard to justify the extra cost of the diesel.

Spacebear2001

Reaction score
You said that you are concerned about gas mileage but you don’t say how many miles you drive or how long you will keep the truck. I don’t see gasoline prices rising much any time soon. It is actually likely that they will drop even more. From a strictly economic standpoint it is hard to justify the extra cost of the diesel.

Probably 15-20k per year. Not sure how long I’ll keep it, last car I kept for 9 years. Replacing a Colorado that was totaled (new car replacement coverage few).

diesel in Illinois is about .30 cents cheaper on average than 89 octane. Last year it was higher than diesel. So if I use 87 then the math doesn’t work but using 89, it makes more sense.

Wrecktal

Reaction score
Wtf is color a main concern?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is 93 cheaper than Diesel in your area? It’s higher in mind. I’ve been using 89 in my calculations for break even.
93 is about 2.30/gal, I think diesel is roughly the same(don’t use it so don’t pay attention) 89 is about 1.70/gal and 87 is about 1.50 or so. I don’t rack up miles so MPG not really a concern, just hit 2,500 miles in 7 months and about 400 miles was from driving to do a hood swap with a fellow 5th gen member.

Spacebear2001

Reaction score
93 is about 2.30/gal, I think diesel is roughly the same(don’t use it so don’t pay attention) 89 is about 1.70/gal and 87 is about 1.50 or so. I don’t rack up miles so MPG not really a concern, just hit 2,500 miles in 7 months and about 400 miles was from driving to do a hood swap with a fellow 5th gen member.

wow your gas is cheap!

these are my avg prices according to AAA. So that’s factoring in my decision on pricing.

Reg.............................Med.............................Prem.............................diesel
$1.966$2.381$2.823$2.600

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wow your gas is cheap!

these are my avg prices according to AAA. So that’s factoring in my decision on pricing.

Reg.............................Med.............................Prem.............................diesel
$1.966$2.381$2.823$2.600
Gotta love South Carolina! You can find it a lot cheaper if you don’t mind the poorer quality some places carry. I’ll only pump shell.

Spacebear2001

Reaction score
Gotta love South Carolina! You can find it a lot cheaper if you don’t mind the poorer quality some places carry. I’ll only pump shell.

yeah Hemi is a no brainer there it sounds like. If the average prices revert to what they were last month, then I’d recoup the cost in 3 years. So I’m thinking 4 years most likely.

I’ll test drive both and see. I think I’m leaning the red truck. I think the ram box is just far too useful of a feature To sacrifice for The color I want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread