5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for my first RAM

RS3887

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Soon-to-be first time RAM owner here.

On here to do some research before buying my first 1500.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Stay away, I’ve had nothing but problems and no one cares or helps to solve them. Please don’t buy a new ram!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I’ve had some issues on my Limited, all minor, like squealing brakes, squeaking console, replaced battery, all the first year and a half, but no issues in the last several months. All were resolved by dealer, and I’ve got a rental free of charge every time.

The key is finding a good dealer and a knowledgeable service advisor.

Having bought an early build of a new redesign I expected some teething issues. Truck is great, great comfortable ride and a pleasure to drive.

Cheers,

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had some issues on my Limited, all minor, like squealing brakes, squeaking console, replaced battery, all the first year and a half, but no issues in the last several months. All were resolved by dealer, and I’ve got a rental free of charge every time.

The key is finding a good dealer and a knowledgeable service advisor.

Having bought an early build of a new redesign I expected some teething issues. Truck is great, great comfortable ride and a pleasure to drive.

Cheers,
I expected issues too, but after several trips to the dealer and truck not performing right for almost a years since day one, I do have a problem with that!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slight issues here with mine as well with brakes and carplay but all were addressed by my dealership. All about finding a knowledgeable dealer when you actually need repairs. .

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just under 1,500 trouble free miles so far on mine. No issues, no trips to the dealer.

Like every maker, there are a few lemons that make it through the cracks, as you'll see occasionally here on the forums. Many from Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Chevy/GM, etc. come over here after switching to Ram. And I'm sure if you look at the Ford, GM, etc. forums, you'll find previous Ram owners that switched out after issues. They're all made by man, they're all going to have some imperfections, and some with major failures.

There are a lot of trouble free, or nearly so, Ram 1500s on here.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Welcome to the Forum!
I have a 2019 1500 Hemi Etorque Bighorn, 4x4. It's a great truck, no issues and really good mph for a 1/2 ton.
One thing I have noticed though...it seems that more people have problems with the Laramie and Limited trims over all of the other trims. This is just based on my observations from being on here so often. So anyone who asks...I always tell them to get a Bighorn with w/e options they want. RAM doesn't quite have the luxery trims ironed out yet.

antwon412

Reaction score
I have a 2020 rebel. Only about 3300 miles on it so far though. I love it. Fully optioned. Recently installed a leveling kit, new wheels and some 35s.

I do lust for a Power Wagon though. For no real reason.

5thgenrams.com is a great source of info for these newer trucks.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 rebel. Only about 3300 miles on it so far though. I love it. Fully optioned. Recently installed a leveling kit, new wheels and some 35s.

I do lust for a Power Wagon though. For no real reason.

5thgenrams.com is a great source of info for these newer trucks.
I'd stick with a Rebel over a PowerWagon...although the PowerWagon can tow more...the Rebel is more capable in every other way.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost 43K miles and I had the Software issue which caused a dead battery and tow x3, the rear window crack from bad design or install, center console squeak, and the brakes squeal and groan. All were fixed by the dealer and since then through now I have no issues and love my truck! It would have been nice not to have those issues, but given my owner satisfaction level now I would go through it all again to get to where I am now.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Mostly problem free 7,000 miles. The AC performance is not the best. If you are looking at the Bighorn trim pay the $995 for premium lighting (do it, do it ,do it). I also recommend the 33 gallon tank on whichever trim you choose. If you will be using your bed a lot, the MFT is a good option. I did not get the LED or MFT. I regret not getting both. I upgraded my halogens, finding one with the LED upgrade would have been smarter out of the gate.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mostly problem free 7,000 miles. The AC performance is not the best. If you are looking at the Bighorn trim pay the $995 for premium lighting (do it, do it ,do it). I also recommend the 33 gallon tank on whichever trim you choose. If you will be using your bed a lot, the MFT is a good option. I did not get the LED or MFT. I regret not getting both. I upgraded my halogens, finding one with the LED upgrade would have been smarter out of the gate.
1000% on the premium lighting. That is probably one of the best packages on my truck.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I planned on buying a loaded bighorn. Ended up with a limited.... it was a demo model so the bugs were worked out and i got a discount.

I agree with premium lighting, 33 gallon tank, then by the time you get that might as well have the 12" screen, then the sunroof, then might as well get the real nice leather in the limited and vented rear seats for kids car seats...

You can see how i ended up with a limited.

I came from a 2017 Golf R. These new 5th gens finally mixed proper creature comforts with truck functionality which is why i made the jump to a ram. No other truck offers same package near the Ram low price.
If you are worried about issues get a 100k bumper to bumper at dealer cost.

Almost waited for a 2021 F150, but by the time they are loaded similarly im at 68k, would miss the incentives and still get less for a trade in. I got a 66.4k sticker truck for 54.4j and made money on my trade in.

BigAdge

Reaction score
Had a 19 bighorn with 10k miles no issues, loved it so much and fell in love with the bts that I traded and got a new bts, amazing truck. I test drove a chevy trailboss, gmc and f150 loaded xlt and none compared to what the ram offered for the price. Lemons are in every vehicle, if you get one it sucks, but my rams have been great so far!

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
That built to serve package with vinyl seats is a well worth it package. Just like the new laramie longhorn package or whatever its called.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a 19 bighorn with 10k miles no issues, loved it so much and fell in love with the bts that I traded and got a new bts, amazing truck. I test drove a chevy trailboss, gmc and f150 loaded xlt and none compared to what the ram offered for the price. Lemons are in every vehicle, if you get one it sucks, but my rams have been great so far!
I test drove a trailboss too...drove nice but I didn't like the interior set up. Came so close to a new 2020 f150 but I got my 2019 Bighorn for $28k :)

Users who are viewing this thread