5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for HK speaker upgrade advice

Rmazzei

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited with HK system. Looking to upgrade speakers only before deciding if I am going to do a full audio swap. Read thru the many many posts and am now more confused than ever. based upon the HK set up what are the factor ohms at the dash door and headliners? Do I need to worry about polarity of just use the harness adapters? Do I need to match them? I see most people are running either Kicker CS, Infinity Reference, CDT or Faital Pro.

Looking for advice on speakers from someone who has done a swap on their HK system and is happy with the results.

thanks

Jackieee_Ram

Reaction score
Update us on what you decide to do. I was very excited for the HK on my 21’ Laramie and thought it was going to be great upgrade over the Alpine on my previous 19’ Laramie.

No matter how you adjust the settings, it sounds flat and just irritates with the highs even with Treb turned down. At higher volume, it distorts. The Alpine systems subwoofer is almost much better than the HK systems subwoofer. I’ve only listen to HD radio, Sirius and BT stream so that’s what my opinion is on

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The woofers are wired reverse polarity while the tweeters and subwoofer are normal polarity, in an ideal world all speakers would be the same polarity but for some reason ram or HK did it the way they did.

If you replace the door speakers change them to normal polarity to match the sub and your mid bass will improve quite a bit.

The infinity reference speakers are the most commonly upgraded and are close to factory impedance.

Also keep in mind while upgrading that each speaker is on its own channel, with the HK systems you will only get mid bass to the woofer locations and highs to the tweeters. A 2 or 3 way 6x9 is a decent upgrade, but you won’t benefit from the coaxial tweeters until you upgrade your amp.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Alpine systems subwoofer is almost much better than the HK systems subwoofer.
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what this sentence is saying. :D
I had the Alpine system in my previous truck (2020 Laramie) and have the HK system in my current Limited. The HK sub is far superior to my old ears than the Alpine system sub.

I have a 2021 Limited with HK system. Looking to upgrade speakers only before deciding if I am going to do a full audio swap. Read thru the many many posts and am now more confused than ever. based upon the HK set up what are the factor ohms at the dash door and headliners? Do I need to worry about polarity of just use the harness adapters? Do I need to match them? I see most people are running either Kicker CS, Infinity Reference, CDT or Faital Pro.

Looking for advice on speakers from someone who has done a swap on their HK system and is happy with the results.

thanks
I like how my HK system sounds so I haven't really thought of upgrading the speakers. Would you mind my asking why you're looking to upgrade them?

Jackieee_Ram

Reaction score
I had the Alpine system in my previous truck (2020 Laramie) and have the HK system in my current Limited. The HK sub is far superior to my old ears than the Alpine system sub.

I like how my HK system sounds so I haven't really thought of upgrading the speakers. Would you mind my asking why you're looking to upgrade them?
Worded wrong. Alpine subwoofer is also better the HK subwoofer in my opinion. Bass is flat and dull from the HK subwoofer. Don’t know if you adjusted it right, but the bass from the Alpine was much lower and way less boomy.😉

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Worded wrong. Alpine subwoofer is also better the HK subwoofer in my opinion. Bass is flat and dull from the HK subwoofer. Don’t know if you adjusted it right, but the bass from the Alpine was much lower and way less boomy.😉
That would make a little more sense, thanks for clarifying. (y)

It's funny to me how some people complain about the HK system being boomy. I don't find that to be the case at all. There are so many factors to consider such as the source of the music, genre, volume, road conditions. Even how much "stuff" you have in the cab can affect sound quality. So each person's listening experience will be different. Bottom line for me is that I'm very happy with the HK system. I'm sorry for anyone who isn't happy with it because it is an expensive option. Still waiting on the OP to come back and say why they want to upgrade the speakers though.

Rmazzei

Reaction score

HK system is far from good. Yes better than Alpine but nowhere near what my MB or Audi have

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
HK system is far from good. Yes better than Alpine but nowhere near what my MB or Audi have
Thanks for answering my question. (y) Hmm...I think the HK sounds better than the system in my Audi. Ironically it's the subwoofer in the HK system that puts it over the Audi. The sub in the Audi is pretty weak.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i took out the stock "SubWoofer"and built my own little sub box :LOL: .the stock sub in my alpine is the same in the "HK".its the amp that drives them are different.its why they sound different.

Attachments

• 20210512_131858.jpg
    20210512_131858.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_1852.JPG
    100_1852.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread