5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Fumoto oil drain plug reviews

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I got rid of my Fumoto and opted for the Valve O Max. I had issues with keeping a drain tube on it while draining the oil. Then there is the clip that you have to keep up with. Valve O Max has a tube connected, unscrew the cap and screw the tube on and it is simple as that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got rid of my Fumoto and opted for the Valve O Max. I had issues with keeping a drain tube on it while draining the oil. Then there is the clip that you have to keep up with. Valve O Max has a tube connected, unscrew the cap and screw the tube on and it is simple as that.
The valvomax is the same thing as the old Fram sure drains. I have the Fram sure drain in my Dakota. It works good

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I added ValvoMax to a few cars, another option, very happy. With the Fumoto you need to add the hose at some point in order to drain the oil into a container vs into an oil pan. With the ValvoMax you have to have the drain cap which has the hose attached. You can still drain the oil with the Fumoto without the hose but need the drain cap for the ValvoMax.
If you decide to have someone else drain your oil the Fumoto is more intuitive and hopefully with the ValvoMax and an explanation the ValvoMax valve will not be removed to drain the oil in the traditional manner.
Not a big deal but the ValvoMax drain cap has to be "stored/secured" somewhere, (vehicle/oil change equipment). You can always buy an extra and keep one with the vehicle and the oil change equipment.
Either one is a big plus to drain into a container vs the oil pan and than into a container.

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
big fan since putting it on. Couple tips...

1 - have extra safety clips on hand. I broke mine in the cold yesterday so would've been nice to have a spare.
2 - plan out what you'll drain into before cutting your hose. I use a sealed canister and drilled a hole to run the hose into. Can drain my oil over the mona lisa and won't leave a mark.

side note. Only thing that sucks is having to do the filter. I have a oil filter relocation kit waiting for me to get the time to install. After that ill be able to change my oil in a tuxedo.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
big fan since putting it on. Couple tips...

1 - have extra safety clips on hand. I broke mine in the cold yesterday so would've been nice to have a spare.
2 - plan out what you'll drain into before cutting your hose. I use a sealed canister and drilled a hole to run the hose into. Can drain my oil over the mona lisa and won't leave a mark.

side note. Only thing that sucks is having to do the filter. I have a oil filter relocation kit waiting for me to get the time to install. After that ill be able to change my oil in a tuxedo.

That safety clip: this one (on my Ram) is the first one that I have had that has a safety clip. With the spring and detent built into the body, the safety clip is superfluous, IMHO.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I added ValvoMax to a few cars, another option, very happy. With the Fumoto you need to add the hose at some point in order to drain the oil into a container vs into an oil pan. With the ValvoMax you have to have the drain cap which has the hose attached. You can still drain the oil with the Fumoto without the hose but need the drain cap for the ValvoMax.
If you decide to have someone else drain your oil the Fumoto is more intuitive and hopefully with the ValvoMax and an explanation the ValvoMax valve will not be removed to drain the oil in the traditional manner.
Not a big deal but the ValvoMax drain cap has to be "stored/secured" somewhere, (vehicle/oil change equipment). You can always buy an extra and keep one with the vehicle and the oil change equipment.
Either one is a big plus to drain into a container vs the oil pan and than into a container.
The Valve O Max that I currently have has a rubber piece that keeps the drain cap attached after you unscrew it, so no loss there.

Jako

Reaction score
The Valve O Max that I currently have has a rubber piece that keeps the drain cap attached after you unscrew it, so no loss there.
True
Point was the Fumoto can be drained while the Valvo Max you need the drain cap with the hose attached. That requires you to store that part, nothing major but something to keep track of.

1670933819991.png

lapoolboy

Reaction score
That safety clip: this one (on my Ram) is the first one that I have had that has a safety clip. With the spring and detent built into the body, the safety clip is superfluous, IMHO.
Double-redundancy. Good insurance.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Double-redundancy. Good insurance.
And then tape to secure the clip, and nylon ties to prevent the tape from unraveling. Or maybe shrink tubing. ;) Whatever level of protection you're comfortable with.

As for the Valv-O-Max, I'd think grit might stay in the ball seat and cause leaks, whereas Fumoto's wiping action will tend to self-clean. My $.02 ✌️

Dewey

Reaction score
So what’s the consensus on the best Fumoto for our RAM’s. I wanna order but seems like multiple options will work.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what’s the consensus on the best Fumoto for our RAM’s. I wanna order but seems like multiple options will work.

I guess it's very subjective. I prefer the Fumoto F106N. Unlike the Valvomax it doesn't have any additional parts to use/keep up with, and doesn't risk needing tools if you get the cap too tight, and doesn't risk getting dirt in the check ball which could create a leak point. The Fumoto 106N is also better than the Fumoto SX because there are fewer machined parts and therefore fewer potential failure points.

In short, Fumoto F106N is as simple and reliable as a quick drain valve can possibly get and that's why I picked it.

But, to each their own.....

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
F106SX

It lets you "aim" the nozzle to where you want. It is nipple-less (sad Fumoto ;) ), so you need to use the included plastic elbow and length of tube.

Cut the tube to length (whatever works for you). Attach the tube to the elbow. I use a screw clamp, because hot oil will expand the tube...and bad things can happen. Attach your elbow/hose to the valve when you want to drain.

Edit:
I xposted with @WXman
The 106N is also a good solution. I've got 4 of them on various cars. I bought the 106sx with a little trepidation, but my fears were without foundation. I like that the 106sx allows me to direct the outflow. The 106N is also fine.

Dewey

Reaction score
I guess it's very subjective. I prefer the Fumoto F106N. Unlike the Valvomax it doesn't have any additional parts to use/keep up with, and doesn't risk needing tools if you get the cap too tight, and doesn't risk getting dirt in the check ball which could create a leak point. The Fumoto 106N is also better than the Fumoto SX because there are fewer machined parts and therefore fewer potential failure points.

In short, Fumoto F106N is as simple and reliable as a quick drain valve can possibly get and that's why I picked it.

But, to each their own.....
Does the oil clear the stabilizer bar as is or do you need to add a hose to drain cleanly?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I
Ordered the F106SX because it is adjustable. It can by aimed to the side. It's actually being delivered to my house in about 20 minutes according to Amazon tracking lol

Reactions: c3k

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used the 106sx. Should be no worries about "extra" failure points. It's no different than using the banjo bolts to attach the brake lines to your caliper.

Jako

Reaction score
And then tape to secure the clip, and nylon ties to prevent the tape from unraveling. Or maybe shrink tubing. ;) Whatever level of protection you're comfortable with.

As for the Valv-O-Max, I'd think grit might stay in the ball seat and cause leaks, whereas Fumoto's wiping action will tend to self-clean. My $.02 ✌️
4 vehicles with ValvoMax (2 to go) no leaks, plus it has a cap. Grit in the oil? Sounds like a lot bigger issue.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
That safety clip: this one (on my Ram) is the first one that I have had that has a safety clip. With the spring and detent built into the body, the safety clip is superflu

True
Point was the Fumoto can be drained while the Valvo Max you need the drain cap with the hose attached. That requires you to store that part, nothing major but something to keep track of.

View attachment 145954
Gotcha, I thought you were talking about the cover thing with the rubber strap attached. When you said drain cap, I was thinking the cap that stays on.

Jako

Reaction score
Gotcha, I thought you were talking about the cover thing with the rubber strap attached. When you said drain cap, I was thinking the cap that stays on.
Both systems have + and -. ValvoMax is veteran owned. A + for me as a lot of family members and great respect for their service.

(my apologies in advance - a little long, too much drama)

Emptying the oil pan into a container to dispose of the oil was always a PITA for me. Lost confidence in others doing my oil changes (over fills, wrong oil, over charge, sell my wife unneeded work) and with family vehicles (total of 6) there is a substantial savings since I have all the other equipment and buy the oil on sale. Local parts shop down the street for filters (support local small business and have a conversation). It is also becoming harder and harder just to get work done. Make an appointment for an oil change, leave car, pick up or wait - another PITA and thing to do multiply by 6. I don't see any young mechanics. My current mechanics are between 55 and 71 and none of them need more business.

Now I just need to line them up on the same day and go to work. In laws at age 95 and 92 is added to the list and makes my 7th.

My problem these days is CRS and CRAFT which is becoming more apparent with age and unfortunately increases exponentially. Time to make a step by step check list and make sure the oil cap was screwed back on before the wife drives off and continues to drive despite the smell. I'll leave that one to your imagination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/