5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Fumoto oil drain plug reviews

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
For those that use the Fumoto ez oil drain valve, how do you like it? How long have you been using it and have there been any issues with it? Thinking about putting one on the truck for the simplicity and convenience of draining the oil. Any do's or donts?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Make sure you clock it properly. Mine isn't and I can't get the house on. I'll reinstall it next oil change.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Will this one work? Looks like the extension would shoot the oil over the front stabilizer bar better. No hose needed.

Edit:Looks like it’s the same F106N listed above.

E3CA24D2-4854-4ECB-9CA2-85B6CCBC8B7D.jpeg
$32.95 on Fumoto site but cheaper on Amazon.

EAC6CEB0-EDEE-4C15-AE5E-C84160EF6783.jpeg

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
This is the one I have

F106SX: New Generation Fumoto... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HP5V092?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And bought this to help Direct the flow otherwise it would splatter out of the pan.

HOSE KIT FOR 3/8" ID NIPPLE... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JTEOQAC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Thanks for the info. I just ordered that drain plug. I'll hold off on the nipple and hose kit for now because on sure I have something in the garage or shop I can use if it's needed

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Doooo it!!!!
Ok ok, im doin it! Lol. I ordered the F106SX that was linked in an above comment. I was eyeballing these a couple years ago for the ease and convenience of them but I just forgot about them until recently. I did order it now so it will get installed the next time I drain the oil

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I concur with the others above - you won't regret it. Have these on all my vehicles. Using the hose, you can drain the oil right into empty bottles rather than a drain pan if you want. The only objection (not really an objection LOL) is the speed in which the oil drains from these - takes a while longer. That said, while waiting you can do other things like undercarriage inspections, pre-filling the new oil filter with new oil, etc. And, the benefit is no mess from the proverbial gush when removing the drain plug.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok ok, im doin it! Lol. I ordered the F106SX that was linked in an above comment. I was eyeballing these a couple years ago for the ease and convenience of them but I just forgot about them until recently. I did order it now so it will get installed the next time I drain the oil
Been using this one for the past 4 years / 5 oil changes on the Ram. No regrets! I use the snap-on hose adapter and hose to make the process totally clean.

Now, that dang oil filter remains another story…

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I concur with the others above - you won't regret it. Have these on all my vehicles. Using the hose, you can drain the oil right into empty bottles rather than a drain pan if you want. The only objection (not really an objection LOL) is the speed in which the oil drains from these - takes a while longer. That said, while waiting you can do other things like undercarriage inspections, pre-filling the new oil filter with new oil, etc. And, the benefit is no mess from the proverbial gush when removing the drain plug.
Hard to prefill and oil filter that has to be tipped sideways to get in the truck. And kind of a waste of time anyways for zero benefit. I know you will here people talk about "dry starts" and no oil flow until the pressure builds once filter is filled, but the reality is, the residual film in the engine is more than enough protection to prevent any damage waiting the few seconds it takes to build up the oil pressure. Which is also another reason to warm up the engine before draining the oil.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I already mentioned I have the 106N and it's perfect. Better than the SX which has moving parts added.
The only "moving" part is the valve which all fumoto valves have. If you are talking about the banjo bolt used to install the SX, once it's on, and you adjust the position, it's not a moving part and more than how you thread on the 106n

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that use the Fumoto ez oil drain valve, how do you like it? How long have you been using it and have there been any issues with it? Thinking about putting one on the truck for the simplicity and convenience of draining the oil. Any do's or donts?
I've been using them on every vehicle I own since ~'05.

After about 10 years, the rubberish gasket needs to be swapped. It gets oil soaked. Meantime, my oil changes are awesomely fast, easy, and clean.

Fumoto's are built like tanks. I've never had a leak. They are tucked up where there is no chance of road damage.

Three thumbs up.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Hard to prefill and oil filter that has to be tipped sideways to get in the truck. And kind of a waste of time anyways for zero benefit. I know you will here people talk about "dry starts" and no oil flow until the pressure builds once filter is filled, but the reality is, the residual film in the engine is more than enough protection to prevent any damage waiting the few seconds it takes to build up the oil pressure. Which is also another reason to warm up the engine before draining the oil.
I agree but it's possible he's got a filter relocation adapter on the truck but we're not going to turn this thread into the normal BS oil filter threads

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
F106N
I prefer to drain the oil behind the sway bar, not onto it or between it and the oil pan.

View attachment 145855
The fact that the sway bar is wiped clean and the sticker obviously was oil soaked contradicts that, unless this picture is from when you installed it. I like draining to the front of sway bar with the hose attachment, cause then it positions the oil pan better for catching the oil that comes from oil filter

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fact that the sway bar is wiped clean and the sticker obviously was oil soaked contradicts that, unless this picture is from when you installed it. I like draining to the front of sway bar with the hose attachment, cause then it positions the oil pan better for catching the oil that comes from oil filter
Obviously the picture is from when I installed it. I looked at the SX but decided that with something as critical as the oil drain the KISS principle applied. The fewer potential failure points the better.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For my Ram, I've got the F106SX. It has been as good as any of the non-adjustable ones I've had.

With the short nipple, I use the plastic elbow and hose. I snap it on, then open the Fumoto. The oil drains down the 8" hose into my bucket. When I'm done, they go into my oil change tool bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread