5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Feedback / Opinions: Revolver x4 vs Truxedo Sentry CT

WareWolf

Reaction score
I've owned a couple of BAK products on my prior trucks and been very happy with them all, including the Revolver X2 + BakBok setup. The Sentry CT from Truxedo looks neat, and they have some very cool accessories like rail kits, and hard and soft storage containers to expand the capabilities. I also like that the Truxedo version is painted black on the bottom so it's not a mirror when rolled up.

Anyone with experience with the Sentry line, or possible both setups able to help me make a decision? I get the impression that the Truxedo does not lock at each aluminum slat like the Revolver does, which seems to kind of defeat the point? Or am I misunderstanding how it works.

Thanks!

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
I have a Sentry CT, and I think it’s a great cover. I have installed plenty of BAK products, and just never been a huge fan of them, just me personally. You are correct, the Truxedo doesn’t latch except for at the tailgate. My buddy has the regular Sentry, and I like the CT finish much more.

Kdixer

Reaction score
I have had two Bak revolvers on previous Ford trucks. Both had issues with rubber seal separating from the cover slightly down the sides. The felt strips on the bottom have a tendency to come unglued and hang down. Cold weather affects how tightly the cover can roll up. Overall, they are very secure and functional covers. The x4 allowed the tailgate to be shut without lifting the cover. The x2 requires the cover to be lifted in order to close the tailgate. Water intrusion was never an issue for either revolver. The x2 attached with thumb screws so removal was quick and easy. The x4 bolts on which adds difficulty should the need to remove ever arise.

I decided to go with the sentry ct on my new 21 ram rebel 5'-7" standard tailgate no ram box. So far I am impressed. The quality appears to be better than the Bak covers I have had. There are latches in the center and at the tailgate. Anything that can be done to get into this cover could also defeat the Bak cover. I was not a fan of the velcro design until I received it. I feel allot better about it compared to the way the weather seals attach to the Bak revolvers. So far the sentry has kept things dry. The cloth cover on the sentry ct rolls up tight and compact even in cold weather. As mentioned before the painted slats, automatic cable latching system on the center latches as well as the rubber end caps on the slats add to the more refined feel of the sentry. My only complaint at this time is the requirement of lifting the cover to allow the tailgate to shut. Full removal is easy due to latching quick releases.

Looks:
Both covers are extremely low profile. The edge goes to the sentry since there are no additional lines created by the side weather seals on the Bak.

Quality:
Both brands have a fair bit of aluminum shavings from manufacturing. The side rails on the Bak cover always look like they are just sawed and boxed up. No deburring or paint on the ends. The sentry rails are fully painted and deburred. Both covers use good quality hardware. IMO, the truxedo just seems more finished.

Both covers are nice and serve the purpose. I would honestly own either one again.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check the bed end of the X4, I believe there are pieces that stick into the bed. I figure they would eventually get hit with something and hopefully not my shin. From talking to one of the vendors he seemed to lean to the sentry as I think some were having install issues.

More info and reading, there is specific threads for the covers from what I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread