5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice on lift kit

cfederico

Reaction score
I'm looking for some direction for a lift kit. Currently I'm looking to lift my 2023 Ram Bighorn 5.7. I'm looking to do a BDS 3-Inch Performance Elite Coil-Over Suspension Lift Kit with FOX 2.5 Coil-Overs and FOX 2.0 Shocks, 20x9 1mm offset Fuel Twitch wheels and 35x12.50R20 Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires.

I don't go off road and I'm doing this because I like the way it looks. The main question I have is this overkill? I want to lift the truck and I want to do it right. So I'm guessing the way to do it right is by doing a suspension lift not just doing a body lift or leveling kit. Am I right?

DeanM2

Reaction score
Your looking at a lot of money only for "looks". Though I have spent lots of money to improve the looks of things. :p
A suspension lift is usually preferable to a body lift. A suspension lift provides an increase in suspension travel which is good for general handling and off-roading. Though, most times, the aftermarket springs/shocks are considerably stiffer to prevent the body from swaying and for off-roading. If you are currently enjoying the ride quality of your Ram 1500, be very careful about which springs/shocks you install. You may want springs/shocks that are "tuned" for street driving, not off-roading.

Note: Shocks with external reservoirs add no value unless you plan to do high-speed off-roading. Street driving and rock crawling do not generate enough heat in the shock absorber to need an external reservoir. Smaller wheels (18") will also help the ride quality as you have more suspension with the larger side-walls.

cfederico

Reaction score
Your looking at a lot of money only for "looks". Though I have spent lots of money to improve the looks of things. :p
A suspension lift is usually preferable to a body lift. A suspension lift provides an increase in suspension travel which is good for general handling and off-roading. Though, most times, the aftermarket springs/shocks are considerably stiffer to prevent the body from swaying and for off-roading. If you are currently enjoying the ride quality of your Ram 1500, be very careful about which springs/shocks you install. You may want springs/shocks that are "tuned" for street driving, not off-roading.

Note: Shocks with external reservoirs add no value unless you plan to do high-speed off-roading. Street driving and rock crawling do not generate enough heat in the shock absorber to need an external reservoir. Smaller wheels (18") will also help the ride quality as you have more suspension with the larger side-walls.
Thanks for the advice and that gives me a bit more direction! Yeah it is a lot of money but I love the way these trucks look with lifted with wheels and bigger tires. I'm going to look for a lift kit as you suggested with suspension geared more towards street use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online