5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a new ram

Ryanwood08

Reaction score
Whats up group. I'm new here and looking to learn a little bit. I'm looking to buy a new ram and am on the fence about the 4 corner air suspension. I have seen a lot of people love and a lot hate it. I wouldn't mind having it but around here(south Texas) I'm struggling to find any and if I do they r fully decked out limited and I don't want to spend that much.

So my question is how worth it is it and should I wait to find one with it? I will be towing a 7000 lb camper with the truck.

Thanks in advance!!!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what you are towing you won't need it. 7k will be easy for this truck. It might be marginally useful if you are pulling a 5th wheel but beyond that IMO it's just one more thing to break.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had air suspension on my 2017 Rebel. I loved and hated it. It was great for gaining ground clearance on those rare occasions I needed it. It was also great to lower it to entry/exit mode for people who had trouble getting into the truck otherwise. I also liked that it would level itself when I was towing my boat. But I was always a little bit worried about the problems I read that people in colder climates were having. And since I live in such a climate I was always wondering when I would start having problems with it. So I made sure my new truck doesn't have it. But, I'd probably want it if I lived in South Texas.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2016 Rebel was great for the first 3 years but the cold finally got it , kept burning out the compressor . There’s a check valve that freezes in the winter and when the truck tries to level itself it can’t get air past the check valve and it just keep pumping until it burns itself out .

RainDesert

Reaction score
After market airbags for the rear are super reliable and relatively inexpensive to add vs the limited packages you find with 4 corner air. I wouldn't worry about finding a truck with it, and personally I would avoid it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I live in a moderately cool mid-Atlantic.
So far the Nitrogen closed loop system has performed well in my Rebel.

Ryanwood08

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with the 4 corner air on a 2020 rebel. Just happened to be in the one I found. Hopefully I don't have any issues seeing as it rarely even gets to freezing here. I should get the truck Monday and I'll post more about it. But here she is.
eccc795ddfc479a0b74ab9d54c9ad40f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RainDesert

Reaction score
That's a really good looking truck. Congratulations!

Last edited:

zelmo

Reaction score
My 2016 Rebel was great for the first 3 years but the cold finally got it , kept burning out the compressor . There’s a check valve that freezes in the winter and when the truck tries to level itself it can’t get air past the check valve and it just keep pumping until it burns itself out .

Is that something they have fixed by now?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm amazed people are able to shop for a vehicle right now.... Nice truck, anyway. Don't worry about the air suspension and then once y'all get close to 36,000 miles or 3 years you can look into an extended warranty that'll cover it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t get to freezing temps you should be fine
I don’t believe anyone has documented issues (on this forum) with air suspension issues due to cold weather on a 5th-gen Ram (with redesigned air compressor). Are you basing this on a 4th-gen experience?

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I don’t believe anyone has documented issues (on this forum) with air suspension issues due to cold weather on a 5th-gen Ram (with redesigned air compressor). Are you basing this on a 4th-gen experience?
Yes , the 4th gen was perfect for 3 years then it started acting up , I thought I read that the compressor was redesigned because the 5th gen‘s were lighter ?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes , the 4th gen was perfect for 3 years then it started acting up , I thought I read that the compressor was redesigned because the 5th gen‘s were lighter ?
I think they switched to a simpler, faster-operating design using a single compressor. This is my recollection from an FCA engineering video from 2018, so I might be getting fuzzy.

airgas1998

Reaction score
you're not going to have any "cold" weather related issues with it in Texas. if you think freezing is cold (32f) you have nothing to worry about. I had no issues at all this winter, and although it was a mild one we still went below zero with no AS issues.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If you don’t get to freezing temps you should be fine
If you are basing this on 5th gen trucks, pls explain.
We have tons of folks that live in very cold climates, including Canada and Alaska, with zero issues. If there were any, we would have heard about them on these trucks that have been on the road at least two years.

Cheers,

Fatherof3

Reaction score
If you are basing this on 5th gen trucks, pls explain.
We have tons of folks that live in very cold climates, including Canada and Alaska, with zero issues. If there were any, we would have heard about them on these trucks that have been on the road at least two years.

Cheers,
I’m not basing it on the 5th gen only the 4th gen which would be perfect for 3 years and then the trouble would start , I hope they have fixed the issue because it was extremely annoying .

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not basing it on the 5th gen only the 4th gen which would be perfect for 3 years and then the trouble would start , I hope they have fixed the issue because it was extremely annoying .
I am shooting from the hip here but I remember reading somewhere that the pneumatic fittings that shrunk in the cold, causing leaks, were redesigned on the 5th gen?

Users who are viewing this thread