5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at ProComp Xtreme MT2s...

orange01z28

Reaction score
So at the end of summer I'll be putting on a 3" lift on my truck and was going to go 35/12.50 R18 tires. However I really like the ProComp Xtreme MT2s but in 18" wheel size they only come in a 305/70R18. Looking at tire size calculators they are like 1/4 taller and 1/2 narrower, any idea why they're like this? ProComp makes 35/12.50s in a bunch of other sizes. It's just weird to me

Zoompastu

Reaction score
That’s just what it is. Every tire manufacture size varies just slightly. 18 inch wheel sizes are kind of the red headed step child. Most off roaders want 17 inch wheels and people that are into Looks want 20s or 22s. More sizes are coming available for 18 inch wheels all the time. And a sidenote on those procomps, they look good and work well off road but they are loud.

orange01z28

Reaction score
That’s just what it is. Every tire manufacture size varies just slightly. 18 inch wheel sizes are kind of the red headed step child. Most off roaders want 17 inch wheels and people that are into Looks want 20s or 22s. More sizes are coming available for 18 inch wheels all the time. And a sidenote on those procomps, they look good and work well off road but they are loud.
Both of my buddies who have them said the same thing about the noise

And thanks for the explanation. I figured it was a is what it is situation but I didn't realize that 18s were still the "odd" size. I've always thought more sidewall more better for off-road but I thought more and more vehicles were getting such large brakes as to obsolete 17s like 16s and 15s have been. I guess as long as you can put 17s on a Jeep they'll be the most popular

I also like the Toyo AT3s, especially for the wheeling I do out here, but I've talked to people saying that they are really heavy tires for a Jeep or 1500 sized truck

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Toyo AT3s are pretty light but those just came out a couple months ago… Did you mean the Falken AT3w? Those are heavy but they are wonderful. Had a set of 285/70/17 on my last ram (also 275/60/20 before the lift) and they were perfect on every road surface and condition except Sloppy mud.
And yes you are correct more sidewall is better off-road.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I had a 2013 Ram with a 6" BDS lift and I had the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 tires in 305/70r18. It was the perfect fit and they were smooth and quiet. FB_IMG_1540249372176.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread