5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a used Ecodiesel. Opinions!

falangie8

Reaction score
Hey all,

First time poster here

I am needing a new more efficient truck due to my new job commuting 60 miles round trip 2-3 times a week. The route will be almost all highway (Texas)

I found a used 2022 Limited Ecodiesel with 14k miles for 48k with a clean Carfax that is loaded with all features I need.

I am interested for 2 main reasons:

1) Fuel Economy. Diesel is the same price as 87 here
2) Enjoyment of driving (tuning, etc). I drove my friends 3500 Silverado Durmax and absolutely loved it!

However, I am concerned about all of the stories you read about this engine, etc and it is making me nervous about pulling the trigger

Would love to hear you guys thoughts and opinions!

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Suspect for my opinion, but if its a good Eco Diesel, then they are OK, but ask for service records. A friend of mine bought a 2014 EcoDiesel with 90K miles and it runs OK. Make sure to change your oil every 5K, especially with the EcoDiesel. Also they had a recall over EPA crap that reprogramed the ECM and now they are detuned in the lower RPM, sort of like slow pedal response. My buddy installed a pedal Monster to try to help with that, when cold its still slow.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I agree with seeing about the previous owners maintenance just to cover your bases. If it’s a 2022 (non classic) then it will have the 3rd gen engine as I’m sure you know, they haven’t had to detune it or anything crazy, however there are two engine related recalls that could apply to that truck. One is the high pressure fuel pump (injection pump) which may have to be replaced free of charge of course. The other is DEF inducement Reprogramming, this changed the amount of DEF that these trucks burn. As well it got rid of the “dead pedal” some owners were experiencing, myself included. Mine uses slightly less now than before getting the recall done.

Aside from having a glow plug fail at ~67,000 miles my truck has behaved itself pretty well. I just rolled 79,000 miles and I’m very happy with how this truck handles the highway miles. And getting 24-26 mpg with 35 inch tires ain’t bad either. I will definitely also agree with changing your oil in a timely manner as modern diesels need clean oil maybe even more so than their gas counterparts. Personally, I change mine every 5k miles.

But yeah, go check out this truck and if you like it get a reputable mechanic to give it a once over and then make your decision! Best of luck, and hopefully you’ll be cruising around in your new ride soon!

n8zcc

Reaction score
However, I am concerned about all of the stories you read about this engine, etc and it is making me nervous about pulling the trigger

Would love to hear you guys thoughts and opinions!
There are two versions of the ECODiesel, Gen 2 and Gen 3. Gen 3 ECODiesels were introduced in MY 2020 and have been redesigned to fix all the issues Gen 2 folks experienced (you can find YouTube videos on the redesign). My Gen 3 and many others have zero problems outside of the high-pressure fuel pump recall. I would run the VIN to be sure the truck has had the HPFP recall. As mentioned, schedule maintenance is important, see if you can review the vehicle's service history.

BayouBengal

Reaction score
I had a 2017 eco (gen 2) that I traded in for a 2022 eco (gen 3). Loved them both and no issues out of either. Currently at 40K miles. Only issue I’ve heard from the Gen 3 is some early models (20/21?) had oil leaks around the timing cover and the HPFP already mentioned.

As far as tuning, you won’t find as big of a market as you would for the 6.6 Duramax and 6.7 Cummins probably due to the low volume of owners and not being produced anymore. I personally wouldn’t try to make these motors will push crazy numbers or “roll coal”. Green Diesel Engineering makes a good tune that keeps it emissions compliant and adds some HP/TQ. It should have 5yr/100K mile powertrain warranty which will give you some peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread