5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what y'all made me do...

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got no beef with software designers and programmers - I have done my fair share of programming as well. I just take issue with the legally protected term “engineer”, which requires licensure by all states. Locomotive engineers have an exemption, but no one else.
I was just messing around, but I do wish it were more official. It would filter out a lot of people who use the name without having the ability to do what the name implies. Computer engineering is accredited by ABET, but I’m not sure why there isn’t a rigorous licensing process.

gofishn

Reaction score
I got no beef with software designers and programmers - I have done my fair share of programming as well. I just take issue with the legally protected term “engineer”, which requires licensure by all states. Locomotive engineers have an exemption, but no one else.
Uh, no.

True , no State licenses a Locomotive Engineer but only because we are licensed by the RR, who are, in essence, Federal entities, on par with the US Govt in the Designation, and even they can only issue the License, after all Governing Federal Guidenlines are met and, far more importantly, must revoke the Locomotive Engineer license if any federal Guideline is violated. up to an including, permenant revocation and the offending Engineer losing the ability to Work, ever again, on any RR , anywhere, in the USA.

Now, think how much better the World would be if the guys who design bridges, High Rise offices or, basically, any other structures that fails, were barred form ever working, for any firm that had anything to do with any of those types of things, ever again. Not even as the janitor.

Oh, least we forget, other than a Nuclear Power Plant Engineer .... Nevermind, someday, some Fanatic may buy a Dodge.

Pssst,
know why we got that Exemption, from State Licensure?
Too important to allow the 'States', any State, to mess with.
Same reason we are not allowed to strike, even by the, so-called, most Labor Friendly President, in decades.

Remember that old joke about which individual body part is THEE most important?
just think of us as the Adze-holes of the Engineering Brotherhood.
Wife calls me one, practically every single day.

Psst 2
Another thing that sets the Locomotive Engineer apart?
No State is allowed to tax our Retirement.
Prohibited by Federal Statute.

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was commuting to my last job, I would pass by this express oil change location and, as a P.E., the sign always ticked me off. WTH is a tire engineer?

1672151264003.png

Users who are viewing this thread