5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look at how dirty the cabin air filter is after 15,000 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram technician quickly pointed out the HVAC drain tube, and it appears in the attached photo. It is a black rubber tube protruding through the firewall on the right side of the vehicle (passenger side), just below and adjacent to the rear of the valve cover on the engine right bank.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024505 miles.

Attachments

• DSCN3142.JPG
    DSCN3142.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 96

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys, here are the instructions on how to do this. Pretty straight forward.

Cheers,
I’m trying to change my filter, Neurobit. I can get thru Step 3, but there’s a tab/blocking thingee on the left side of the glove box that doesn’t let the glove box fall down. And I can’t get my hand/fingers in there to release the tabs on the air filter holder so I can access the old filter and put in the new one with the glove box still up that high.

Is there a trick? What am I missing?

Mucho gracias in advance.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m trying to change my filter, Neurobit. I can get thru Step 3, but there’s a tab/blocking thingee on the left side of the glove box that doesn’t let the glove box fall down. And I can’t get my hand/fingers in there to release the tabs on the air filter holder so I can access the old filter and put in the new one with the glove box still up that high.

Is there a trick? What am I missing?

Mucho gracias in advance.
I'm afraid the only solution is brute force. You're going to have to push inwards towards the center of the glove box on the left side in order to clear the tab. When you are doing this so much force will be needed that you think you're going to break the glove box! Fortunately I haven't heard of anyone breaking one.

When I did mine I thought I was going to asperate. Hopefully you're much younger than I.

Best of luck and regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024505 miles.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm afraid the only solution is brute force. You're going to have to push inwards towards the center of the glove box on the left side in order to clear the tab. When you are doing this so much force will be needed that you think you're going to break the glove box! Fortunately I haven't heard of anyone breaking one.

When I did mine I thought I was going to asperate. Hopefully you're much younger than I.

Best of luck and regards,
Dusty
Ha. I’m not much younger than you, Dusty. I’ll try the brute force with maybe a long screwdriver to help pry it over so it’ll release down.

Rich

Reaction score
Ha. I’m not much younger than you, Dusty. I’ll try the brute force with maybe a long screwdriver to help pry it over so it’ll release down.

Don't bother with those tabs. Just open the door, not fully open, and pull up in the direction of the door, directly away from the hinges. The hinges pop out of their sockets, and then the door can be lifted easily out. It's much easier this way.

I learned this myself when fumbling with those tabs myself the first time.

Rich

Reaction score
My Ram technician quickly pointed out the HVAC drain tube, and it appears in the attached photo. It is a black rubber tube protruding through the firewall on the right side of the vehicle (passenger side), just below and adjacent to the rear of the valve cover on the engine right bank.

Best regards,
Dusty

Yes, thanks for this!

As I said the first time, I am not a fan of this dealer's service department.

Is there a good procedure to endure the drain is clear? Blow out with compressed air? Suck it clean with a vaccum? I would think that the shop manual might have some suggestions?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't bother with those tabs. Just open the door, not fully open, and pull up in the direction of the door, directly away from the hinges. The hinges pop out of their sockets, and then the door can be lifted easily out. It's much easier this way.

I learned this myself when fumbling with those tabs myself the first time.
Thanks, Rich. I’ll give that a try.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Rich - GREAT tip!! Worked like a charm.

Here’s mine new and old only 7,000 miles, 13 months and no dirt road driving.

CD572F85-4FF3-4B88-8C81-D257C751D3E4.jpeg

CornTrucks

Reaction score
These filter photos don’t look bad to me. I wouldn’t change them early and wouldn’t feel bad going over 20k miles myself.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These filter photos don’t look bad to me. I wouldn’t change them early and wouldn’t feel bad going over 20k miles myself.

Its not horrible, but mine was only 7,000 miles. Plus that’s only the dirt you can see. For $22 and 5 minutes of my time I plan to change mine at least every 10,000 miles or once a year.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not horrible, but mine was only 7,000 miles. Plus that’s only the dirt you can see. For $22 and 5 minutes of my time I plan to change mine at least every 10,000 miles or once a year.
Looks like the filter does a good job of catching nasty stuff. Just changed mine at about 13,000 miles, and the old one looked pretty much like yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/