5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longtube and legality?

Jack.

Reaction score
Got a killer deal on longtube headers parts and labor, however I know they're not legal in jersey where I'm from 😮‍💨 any tips or trick to umm pass inspection with em?

clazer

Reaction score
You’ll need a tune in order not throw codes, most likely. The tune will remove the codes. This doesn’t work in Cali but I’m not aware of anywhere else that strict.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How are they not legal? You can still have cats with long tubes. And you will need a tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It may be helpful to post which headers you got so other people know what you’re referring to.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How are they not legal? You can still have cats with long tubes. And you will need a tune

Technically, with long tubes you would have to replace/relocate the factory cats, which is federally illegal, unless they are bad.

Jack.

Reaction score
Dodge Ram 1500 Truck 2019-2022 Long System

These are the ones that i got the deal on, and i was just under the impression that longtubes are illegal overall in jersey lol i wasnt aware there was more to it than that haha. If i can get away with these and just a tune to pass inspection id do it in a heart beat tonight 😩😩

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Dodge Ram 1500 Truck 2019-2022 Long System

These are the ones that i got the deal on, and i was just under the impression that longtubes are illegal overall in jersey lol i wasnt aware there was more to it than that haha. If i can get away with these and just a tune to pass inspection id do it in a heart beat tonight 😩😩
I have these with longtubes and from my understanding they will pass GA emissions. I’ll find out later this year when I have to get emissions done on my truck.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I used to have no cats and headers on a car and just had this little box that I hooked to the 02 sensors and battery and it told the cpu that the 02 sensors were working properly. Had that thing on there for like 10yrs. Couldn't tell you what the name of it was because it came with the headers haha. They were Stillen.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If they have cats that should pass emissions. Still need a tune.

Jack.

Reaction score
If they have cats that should pass emissions. Still need a tune.

Would i just visit my local performance shop and get them to tune it ? Or would one of them email tune work? :x

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would i just visit my local performance shop and get them to tune it ? Or would one of them email tune work? :x
The truck will still run and drive without a tune. You just won't get full benefits from the longrunes without a tune

Jack.

Reaction score
The truck will still run and drive without a tune. You just won't get full benefits from the longrunes without a tune
Ah okay! i was reading somewhere that said longtube will throw codes as well so you would req a tune after to get rid of it.

Im also undecisive now.. consider kooks longtube as well with the green cats but theyre like 1k over 😩

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ah okay! i was reading somewhere that said longtube will throw codes as well so you would req a tune after to get rid of it.

Im also undecisive now.. consider kooks longtube as well with the green cats but theyre like 1k over 😩
If you use cats and relocate the sensors appropriately then it shouldn't have codes.

Gumpa

Reaction score
You might want to think about the 1-3/4" tubes.
Figure out where you want to be with your warranty before you spend a couple thousand on headers. I have ARH longtubes with cats and I could not get it to run without codes. Had to use the tune to eliminate the codes. Not a problem for me, as I was going to tune it anyway. However if you have to get a tune you are probably going to get screwed on your warranty if there is a problem.
Not sure if the Kooks green cats really work, but $1000 will get you a PCM and a tuner.

HemiDude

Reaction score
So did you actually take the Killer Deal, or are you just considering it?

Jack.

Reaction score
So did you actually take the Killer Deal, or are you just considering it?
Still thinking about it because of the whole tune thing and i got like 30k more miles til my warranty is up LOL. I got to like next weekend to decide. Maybe if someone has kooks longtube can chime in i can get a better idea of which route to take

HemiDude

Reaction score
If nothing else, if it's a real super deal just go ahead and grab the headers. You can always flip them if you decide you don't want to use them and make a couple of bucks

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you worried that NJ is an actual visual check for non OEM parts under the hood, like California? With cats, shouldn't be a problem to pass emissions warmed up, of course. Long tubes obviously push the cats farther away from the cylinders, making the warmup time longer, sometimes out of spec. That would throw the check engine light, and might cause NJ to reject it. Sometimes the header maker would know for certain.

Jack.

Reaction score
So just an update to this, apparently ARH\Stainless work no longer passes inspection in NJ, i go to a private inspector so they dont really care via the visual part it just apparently when they do the obd test it will fail according to them anyhow so seems like my only option is kooks which they claim will pass with their greencats system... however apparently their system dont fit the 2021 model year, only 19/20 due to the 2021 DT having the cats move a bit forward? according to kooks anyhow.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
California doesn't require the 1st smog test until the 8th yr of ownership. Assuming you bought new.

Does Jersey have something similar? If that's the case, why not just install them and not worry about it for a whole lot of years?

Users who are viewing this thread