5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long trip towing and Trump assasination att.

frisby5

Reaction score
Well i just got back home after a long trip of 1k . I was camping in a forrest when i heard about the Trump ***. Attempt. Wow ! Not to surprised. Anyway i had only 3k miles on my 5.7 so it was a good test on seeing how truck would do. I seen some oil temps at 260f coolant at 227f those seem high to me. Is there anyway to keep my oil temps lower when towing? Truck did really well and im happy i finally feel confident in reliabilty i did some very steep terrain and mountain passes. My truck is a 22 but i only use it for hunting/camping reason for low miles.

Attachments

• 20240713_172531.jpg
    20240713_172531.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 18

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it hits 290F you might want to back off, but 260F is not particularly worrisome. For something like a century, engines didn't even have all these gauges to make us worry, and modern synthetic oils will take quite a beating.

Change oil often if you're running it hard. Maybe bump the viscosity up one number if cold weather starting doesn't matter.

If you think you really need it cooler...
Most models have an engine oil to coolant heat exchanger, so if you're a bit handy it's not hard to add a finned cooler inline with that. Also, a cooler thermostat may also keep the oil cooler up to a point (but may hurt fuel efficiency).

frisby5

Reaction score
If it hits 290F you might want to back off, but 260F is not particularly worrisome. For something like a century, engines didn't even have all these gauges to make us worry, and modern synthetic oils will take quite a beating.

Change oil often if you're running it hard. Maybe bump the viscosity up one number if cold weather starting doesn't matter.

If you think you really need it cooler...
Most models have an engine oil to coolant heat exchanger, so if you're a bit handy it's not hard to add a finned cooler inline with that. Also, a cooler thermostat may also keep the oil cooler up to a point (but may hurt fuel efficiency).
I thought about adding a universal inline finned cooler . I dont know why Ram is running all the fluids hotter than other engines i have owned or have now.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought about adding a universal inline finned cooler . I dont know why Ram is running all the fluids hotter than other engines i have owned or have now.

Internal combustion engine makes power from heat expanding gases, and hotter makes more efficient. They're pushing for tiny improvements in fleet MPG, etc.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
They figured out how hot the engine had to run to be most efficient. They were made to run at that temperature. Good synthetic fluids are up to the task. Quit worrying and enjoy the Ram!

Users who are viewing this thread