5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long trip planned...first oil change?

weswoody2004

Reaction score
Good morning y'all! just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 a month ago and am planning a trip to CA next month (I'm in Texas). The truck has about 2k miles on it. I have heard some folks suggest doing your first oil change relatively soon after getting new. Is it advised do get an oil change before my trip or should the original oil be fine? Total trip distance will be approx 4200 miles. Thanks!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would change it. I always do the first oil change a little earlier than normal, just because the engine parts are tight which may produce more debris in the oil. I did mine at about 3,500 miles. I didn't see anything in the oil, but it was darker than I thought it would be.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would change it, I always like to do an early oil change anyways to help clear out the break-in metals in the engine.

My oil analysis shows quite a bit of break-in metals during the first oil change, in fact still had a bit on the 2nd oil change. Changing it the sooner the better.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning y'all! just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 a month ago and am planning a trip to CA next month (I'm in Texas). The truck has about 2k miles on it. I have heard some folks suggest doing your first oil change relatively soon after getting new. Is it advised do get an oil change before my trip or should the original oil be fine? Total trip distance will be approx 4200 miles. Thanks!
My truck had 7,249 miles on it at my first oil change. Almost 6k of those miles were from towing. No issues with the oil when it was changed.

Manual says to change it when the truck tells you to change it, and doesn't say anything about a first oil change. Change it if you want to, but you don't need to.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I would keep the truck initially, now probably will at least until powertrain warranty is up. So first time let it go around 9500 miles down to 10% on the oil monitor. Oil looked fine. Next time was about 15% on the monitor at around 8500 miles. Oil looked good. The oil filter is a pain in these trucks, I will probably change every 7500 from now on around getting tires rotated.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the time to do it before your trip, and it will give you peace of mind, then change it. Like mentioned before, the owner's manual doesn't mention doing a first oil change before the oil life monitor tells you it's time. I do my first oil change at between 2-3k miles. But I'm more old school, and am used to doing that after engine break-in. So I would have already changed it if I were in your shoes. :p

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change at 8517 (exactly 8500miles from dealer) and the truck still said I had about 16% left.

70runner

Reaction score
Given your trip mileage I would do it ahead of time. Did my first one at 3K. Also old school (or just old), change oil more frequently than factory recommends.

Users who are viewing this thread