5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Trip Oil Life Dilemma

Reaction score
Got a 2020 5.7L. My oil indicator is at 40%. Heading out for a trip from NY to Yellowstone. Never driven that far.
1. Should I change the oil now, during, or after the trip?
2.Also what % is mandatory to change the oil, 15-20%?
I always use full synthetic.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If you're just driving on highways, that's really easy on engines and oil. If you're pulling a trailer, it's not.

Full synthetic can go 10,000 miles no problem, especially if it's not a whole bunch of idling or pulling a trailer. Sustained cruising will actually get the oil hot enough to boil out any blowby and condensation.

Only you can decide. If you're a worrier, change it before you go. The slight extra cost will be worth it for peace of mind. But not the day before -- allow a week or so to be sure the drain plug and oil filter are on tight. Otherwise, just make sure it's full and bring along an extra quart, because it may look like you're burning oil when you drive out all the blowby.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You will be fine. I change mine when it gets closer to 0%, but there is still plenty of life left in the oil to not have to worry about it.

cliffsta

Reaction score
I would change it before the trip. Just my .02 but I’m not a mechanic.

Dewey

Reaction score
40% oil life as highway miles without towing is likely about 4,000 miles. I’m guessing you’ll be fine. No sense wasting good synthetic oil. Those will be easy miles. Change it when you get home.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well, it won't hurt to change it sooner right? If you are worried about it and will be thinking about it during your trip, then just do it, the extra money you waste will be worth it if that's the case. Not like you are doing an extra oil change, you are just doing it a bit ahead of schedule.

With the questionable roller lifters in these trucks, I would change the oil at 5,000 miles with a high quality synthetic regardless of what the maintenance computer says.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recommend changing it before the trip, and do it a week or two before. That way, if there's leakage or anything due to drain plug/ filter not tight, you will have time to correct it. (That happens, sometimes the tech is just rushing and not double checking everything)
You can change it after, that's for sure. But you will probably get that "maintenance required" message at some point during your trip, which is fine, but just annoys you that you need to get it done.

As a tech who goes on a lot of long trips, I change mine at 5000 miles interval for both my vehicles. If I am approaching the 5k mark before I go on long trip, I'll do it if there's time and lift space at the shop. If not, I do it after I come back. I know the oil change schedule from factory is 10k miles (or whatever the computer says), so I have 5k miles of leeway if I can't get it done before the trip. If my trip is going to be over 5k miles and there's no lift space... I'll do it on the ground.

And that's coming from someone who hates working under vehicles on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread