5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time ford guy looking at Ram

Brian1982

Reaction score
Im looking to get a 2019 Ram Rebel or Limited. I am really waiting for the Ecodiesel to come out. I am up in the air about which one to get either the Rebel (due to the added lift and offroad styling) or the Limited (due to the added luxury and comfort). Thanks for the forum and can't wait to join the Ram family.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like the new Ram has Ford nervous. Initially the Bronco was supposed to come before a new F150... but now Ford swapped that timeline.

I like the idea of a diesel, but holy crap did the EPA ruin the experience. I'm not sure if I'm up for the DEF, DPF, and SCR thing.

Brian1982

Reaction score
Yeah im looking at the MPG over that of the Hemi. I have a 16 lifted F150 now. I am leaning more towards the Limited because i never really go offroad and if I need a little extra clearance i can just raise the air suspension. FYI even if I was to get the Rebel im get the air suspension, rambox, rebel 12 (pretty much everything).

Brian1982

Reaction score
That looks very nice Jake. I am looking at the steel color for the Rebel and the Patriot Blue for the limited. What kind of gas milage are you getting with it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome! I have had plenty of Ford’s in my stable at one time or another and really have no complaints with them but IMO right now nothing compares with this new Ram. Best of luck;)

Brian1982

Reaction score
Welcome! I have had plenty of Ford’s in my stable at one time or another and really have no complaints with them but IMO right now nothing compares with this new Ram. Best of luck;)
I agree. I love Ford but the Ram is killing all other brands now.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah im looking at the MPG over that of the Hemi. I have a 16 lifted F150 now. I am leaning more towards the Limited because i never really go offroad and if I need a little extra clearance i can just raise the air suspension. FYI even if I was to get the Rebel im get the air suspension, rambox, rebel 12 (pretty much everything).

Don't overlook the Longhorn if you want a loaded Ram; it can be optioned to have literally everything the Limited has... except for the Kentucky Derby decals.

If you think you don't like the western theme of the Longhorn interiors, see it in person before ruling it out; they really are spectacular.

Brian1982

Reaction score
Yeah i love the longhorn too but i am not a fan of the interior, i have two small kids so with the light color interior also i prefer all black interiors.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah i love the longhorn too but i am not a fan of the interior, i have two small kids so with the light color interior also i prefer all black interiors.

I was the same way, always loved the all black interiors and still do. I was set on a fully loaded Laramie with all black interior, however, after opting the Laramie I was in the Longhorn-Limited price range. I really like the Limited but did not want air suspension and did want two tone exterior paint which neither could be opted on the Limited. I have never liked two tone interiors, especially those of Ford’s King Ranch. Just so happened when I was at the dealer ordering my truck they had a Longhorn with the black/ new saddle interior in the showroom. My wife and I both absolutely loved it so Longhorn it was. If for not seeing it first hand I may have went with the loaded Laramie with all black interior. I absolutely understand the lighter interior colors with younger kids. Fortunately my kids are older now so I could take a chance on it and hope it holds up! That’s the nice thing about all these choices and options, I’m sure you will enjoy whatever you decide on. IMO you can’t go wrong with any of these ‘19 Rams.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
My last 3 trucks were F150's. Great trucks. I traded a 16 F150 Platinum 4x4 crew for my Ram. Love the interior of this Limited, more comfortable in my opinion. I also like the exterior styling. I have had many mopars but this is my first Ram and glad i traded. The only thing that took me a while to be ok with was the shifter.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last 3 trucks were F150's. Great trucks. I traded a 16 F150 Platinum 4x4 crew for my Ram. Love the interior of this Limited, more comfortable in my opinion. I also like the exterior styling. I have had many mopars but this is my first Ram and glad i traded. The only thing that took me a while to be ok with was the shifter.
I thought I would not like the shifter in the Ram. I have had Ford’s as well with the center console shifter, including our current Expedition and really like it, however, call me crazy but I actually like the Ram’s hockey puck better. Obviously it allows for more center console storage but the way I like to rest my right arm on the center console allows for it to be in perfect position for shifting. Maybe that’s just me though!:sneaky:

VdMer

Reaction score
I think you kinda answered your own question on Limited vs Rebel; in that you rarely off-road and can air-lift the 'limited' time you do. If it's to abandon Ford, all I can add is that I too came from a '16 F150, Lariat to a '19 Limited. Frankly, it's like apples:eek:ranges...or more aptly, Flip phone vs Smartphone. I almost feel guilty driving it. IMO, Ford needs to seriously scramble and have more up their sleeve than impractical 0-60 stats and payload alone. The gap is just that large, both on fit/finish, ride etc. I really did not find my latest F150 was keeping up on quality either. For a matured generation, I was plagued with TSBs, Recalls, and overall mediocrity. The things I miss, but not that much...would be MPGs, maybe better visibility...and an occasional sense of urgency at a green light ;-) As a semi-non-loyal Ford friend who drove in my Ram commented, 'this blows the F150 away'.

I think your decision is an easy one. Best of luck!

mayes1414

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the thread.
Just picked up my new 19' Limited (4x4), about 650 miles on it now. I also traded my 16' F150 Platinum in on the new Ram. Honestly, I've been very pleased with my F150 Platinum, good ride, good features on the interior, and nice upgrade leather. My two previous trucks were 14' Ram Laramie Longhorn and 09' Dodge Ram Longhorn. When I got rid of the 14' I vowed to never buy a Ram again, due to issues throughout the interior and then modules causing transmission to jerk (modules not covered under warranty). One of my employees still owns my old 09' model and he loves it (over 200,000 miles). I test drove new Chevy High Country, GMC Denali, and new Ford. The interior on the Gm's are not upgraded, my wife owns a 2017 $80k GMC Yukon XL Denali and I hate to travel in it because the seats are so uncomfortable (back surgery on lower L6) and the new trucks are no different. The interior of the new Rams are so far advanced that they have raised the bar for all pickup trucks.
I would recommend the Limited over the Rebel due to the ride, nothing beats the ride of this air ride suspension and it offers 4" of height adjustability. I'm not a big fan of the E-torque due to the low speed downshifting felt just like the issues I felt with 14' modules going bad. Gas mileage will not impress you so get the larger gas tank. (but who spends 70k and gripes about fuel mileage?) I'm waiting for my Borla Cat back exhaust now, maybe that will help.
Hope this helps you make up your mind.

Brian1982

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, i have decided on a patriot blue and black limited. But i am waiting on the ecodiesel. The word i have read us that they are coming out with the specs on it on the 14th and should be able to order it no later than April timeframe.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might also be worthwhile to wait out the new tailgate.

The prototype photos look ugly imo because the split is so clearly seen, but the versatility of a split swing/fold is intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread