5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking Fuel Filler Door | How To | 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ Can this be done with our 1500 DT Rams

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Been plenty of discussions about gas caps and locking doors for the trucks with spark plugs.

The only 2 options that I know of right now that you can buy are:

1. Locking "dust cover" from Geno's Garage: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram-1500-locking-fuel-dust-cap/fuel-caps

2. A 4" rubber cap: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-4-in-x-4-in-x-4-in-dia-x-5-in-L-Cap-PVC-Fitting/1000075371

I have the rubber cap. I ground a bevel around the edge of the cap as the the gas door slightly bends to close otherwise (not much gap between the door and filler neck).

I keep the cap in the floor storage in the rear of the cab and only use it when I'm off-roading to keep the dust out.

If I was looking for security or plan to use it all the time I'd spring for the spiffy Geno's Garage one. I contemplated some tank protection against would-be ne'er-do-wells but it's more lucrative to steal my gas than to poison it, which can be easily drained by punching a hole in my tank with a screwdriver.

At some point you have to enjoy what you've got because you can't protect it from everything. Door locks, alarms, locking gas caps, spare tire locks, catalytic converter cables/clamps, etc., only deter the casual thief. If they are determined they will get what they want and the more difficult you make it the more damage your truck will incur in the end.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
At some point you have to enjoy what you've got because you can't protect it from everything. Door locks, alarms, locking gas caps, spare tire locks, catalytic converter cables/clamps, etc., only deter the casual thief. If they are determined they will get what they want and the more difficult you make it the more damage your truck will incur in the end.
I agree with some of this. Obviously, you won't stop someone determined to break into your truck. But the vast majority of them are casual thiefs, and if you can thwart them for a few seconds they'll move onto easier targets. Lets change this to your home. I'm sure you don't leave your house unlocked do you? I mean, a determined thief will get inside, and the more difficult you make it the more damage your home will incur. ;)

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The methheads here will just drill your gas tank and drain it after they cut you cat off. They DGAF about anything.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with some of this. Obviously, you won't stop someone determined to break into your truck. But the vast majority of them are casual thiefs, and if you can thwart them for a few seconds they'll move onto easier targets. Lets change this to your home. I'm sure you don't leave your house unlocked do you? I mean, a determined thief will get inside, and the more difficult you make it the more damage your home will incur. ;)
“Crimes of opportunity,” “locks only keep the honest people out,” etc.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with some of your some. (y)

Simple and free precautions will deter the casual thief (locking doors, rolling up windows, parking in conspicuous/high visibility areas) which is enough for them to move on to lower risk ventures. "Back in the day" I paid for additional layers of protection, including a nice fancy alarm. Nowadays I stick to the things I can already do that don't cost me much money or time - roll up my windows, lock my doors, park in visible/high traffic areas, don't leave valuables out in the cab, etc.

The house and truck are different though. Everybody in my neighborhood knows it's my house (whether I'm friends with them or not) and will easily recognize someone nefarious around it. Nobody knows it's my truck in a parking lot so will easily be overlooked if someone is around it and an alarm isn't going off. Passers by will just think it's their truck or that it's broken down and their trying to fix it (if they are underneath it taking my spare, gas or cat).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
“Crimes of opportunity,” “locks only keep the honest people out,” etc.
Haha...honest people don't usually commit crimes. I get what you're trying to say, but who cares if its a professional or an "honest" person, someone just stole your sh!t. :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread